Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Which multi? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Which multi?

What's Hot
JazzmagJazzmag Frets: 5
edited January 2023 in Digital & Modelling
Hi all, hope you all had an acceptable Christmas/new year. I have a dilemma for the hive mind as I want the world on a stick but don't want to pay for it!

I'm after a multifx to link four cable method style to my peavey classic 30.
I want to be able to build a signal chain (compression, wah, drive, effects loop, delay etc) and save it to four ish switches as well as have the occasional wild card effect for certain tracks.
I also want the wah to be switchless (properly switchless not turned off at a certain point in the sweep) and assigned to an attached expression pedal.
I've looked at a few (helix/headrush) but they all have major price tags + bells and whistles I won't use and therefore don't want to have to pay for.

Is there an older board that can do all this? I'm really mad at boss at the moment as they seem to have a vendetta against switchless wah or I'd just get a gt100...

Thanks in advance
Jazz

Edit for clarification:
I want a single multifx unit that will:
Have at least four programmable switches and an attached expression pedal,
Change the channels on my amp (5 cable method?),
Allow me to save patches to each switch,
Have a wah effect activated by moving the expression pedal,
Be around £250-300
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I would have said the GT-100

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This may all be outside your budget, but just in case...

For everything apart from the switchless wah, then an HX FX should do it. My only problem with it was the workflow and the fact it wasn't conducive to twiddling the knobs, like real pedals are. It might even do the switchless wah, but I never tried to use a wah in the 18 months I owned one, so can't confirm one way or the other.

Thoughts on a switchless wah (and I still don't play with a wah)... 

I've got a GT-1000 Core sitting on a board at the moment.

I think it's possible on the GTk to have the wah turn on and off using assigns related to the position of the pedal. So you could have it turned off when fully depressed or fully up. As soon as you moved away from that position it would turn on. The problem I'd see is that playing it runs the risk that you'll drop the pedal to the "off" spot and it would turn off. Every "real pedal" wah I've used had a footswitch. I believe you can buy expression pedals that also have a footswitch. On the GTk, that switch could be your on/off assignment and the rest follows.

Or you could just use a real wah pedal and stick it in an effects loop after the compressor in your signal chain. That would mean you'd need two effects loops on the MFX - one for the wah and one for 4CM. The GTk has two send/return loops, so does the HX FX, and I'm sure others will do too. 

Or - if you never use a compressor for sounds that also use the wah - stick in front of the MFX. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    edited January 2023
    If you don't need amp models, then an HXFX with an expression pedal for the wah would do it. Secondhand pricess aren't that hideous these days.

If you want amps too, HX Stomp XL plus expression pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This may all be outside your budget, but just in case...

For everything apart from the switchless wah, then an HX FX should do it. My only problem with it was the workflow and the fact it wasn't conducive to twiddling the knobs, like real pedals are. It might even do the switchless wah, but I never tried to use a wah in the 18 months I owned one, so can't confirm one way or the other.

Thoughts on a switchless wah (and I still don't play with a wah)... 

I've got a GT-1000 Core sitting on a board at the moment.

I think it's possible on the GTk to have the wah turn on and off using assigns related to the position of the pedal. So you could have it turned off when fully depressed or fully up. As soon as you moved away from that position it would turn on. The problem I'd see is that playing it runs the risk that you'll drop the pedal to the "off" spot and it would turn off. Every "real pedal" wah I've used had a footswitch. I believe you can buy expression pedals that also have a footswitch. On the GTk, that switch could be your on/off assignment and the rest follows.

Or you could just use a real wah pedal and stick it in an effects loop after the compressor in your signal chain. That would mean you'd need two effects loops on the MFX - one for the wah and one for 4CM. The GTk has two send/return loops, so does the HX FX, and I'm sure others will do too. 

Or - if you never use a compressor for sounds that also use the wah - stick in front of the MFX. 
    Thanks Dip. This is an attempt at finding a single floor unit to do everything I need. My experience is quite limited so I'm hoping that someone has used something that meets the criteria set. I'm currently looking at the valeton GP-200 but info on amp switching, switchless wah and patch saving is sadly limited at the moment...
  • Snags said:
    If you don't need amp models, then an HXFX with an expression pedal for the wah would do it. Secondhand pricess aren't that hideous these days.

If you want amps too, HX Stomp XL plus expression pedal.
    Don't want to have to add anything really. Like I said to Dip this is me hoping that someone has used a device that will do everything I need that I haven't come across yet. Currently perusing the valeton GP-200 hoping it is the one ring!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    What’s your budget?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    edited January 2023
    pod go.

The GT1000 core is 'better' imho but pound for pound the pod go is the best priced unit on the market. 2nd hand you can get them for £250-280 which for what it does is a steal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    The Line 6 Pod Go might fit the bill.  But I'm not quite sure what you mean by a switchless wah? One of the things I really like about Pod Go is that you can kick in a wah on any patch... but by definition that's switching. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • My definition of a switchless wah is one of the sprung ones like Morley have done in th past, where when you take your foot off, the spring returns it to it's off position. The little Plutoneium Chiwahwah did the same thing in a mini format.

If that's what you mean, I don't think any of the multifx have a spring treadle, they all have a switch, or are programmable to come on when the position of the treadle hits a certain point. That's how it works on the Helix and Boss multi-fx anyway (I've just looked at my GT-1000 and my MS-3 and both have the ability to switch on/off at a particular value of the expression pedal).  I suppose you could find a spring with the right tension and pop that under the front of the treadle so it always returns to the off position.
  • My definition of a switchless wah is one of the sprung ones like Morley have done in th past, where when you take your foot off, the spring returns it to it's off position. The little Plutoneium Chiwahwah did the same thing in a mini format.

If that's what you mean, I don't think any of the multifx have a spring treadle, they all have a switch, or are programmable to come on when the position of the treadle hits a certain point. That's how it works on the Helix and Boss multi-fx anyway (I've just looked at my GT-1000 and my MS-3 and both have the ability to switch on/off at a particular value of the expression pedal).  I suppose you could find a spring with the right tension and pop that under the front of the treadle so it always returns to the off position.
    That's the one. The helix can do it properly but the LT is way over budget
  • Roland said:
    What’s your budget

I'd say 250-300
  • Voxman said:
    The Line 6 Pod Go might fit the bill.  But I'm not quite sure what you mean by a switchless wah? One of the things I really like about Pod Go is that you can kick in a wah on any patch... but by definition that's switching. 
    IT means the wah effects starts when you move the pedal and has a pre determined delay after you stop to turn off. Can the pod go switch physical amp channels?
  • Jazzmag said:
    My definition of a switchless wah is one of the sprung ones like Morley have done in th past, where when you take your foot off, the spring returns it to it's off position. The little Plutoneium Chiwahwah did the same thing in a mini format.

The helix cant do this. I use a weeping demon off board for my wah partly for that reason (and partly because it sounds AMAZOING)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    It won’t surprise you that the AxeFX can do switchless Wah, even the old Standard and Ultra models. Fractal has an auto-on/off ability based on either pedal speed or pedal position. There’s also the Devon Townsend switching method where you run Wah and Volume blocks in parallel, blending swiftly from one to the other at the far end of pedal travel.

A secondhand Standard or Ultra model is outside your budget, but worth thinking about because it also offers midi, lots of other FX, and FX switching. One thing you can do is use different Wah models for clean (cry baby), overdriven (Vox), and solo (mortal) sounds. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4400
    Jazzmag said:
    Voxman said:
    IT means the wah effects starts when you move the pedal and has a pre determined delay after you stop to turn off. Can the pod go switch physical amp channels?
    Pod Go can't control an external amp.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    Jazzmag said:
    My definition of a switchless wah is one of the sprung ones like Morley have done in th past, where when you take your foot off, the spring returns it to it's off position. The little Plutoneium Chiwahwah did the same thing in a mini format.

The helix cant do this. I use a weeping demon off board for my wah partly for that reason (and partly because it sounds AMAZOING)

I have the wah on my LT set up to work exactly like that (except the sprung treadle, obviously).
  • Anyone tried the Digitech RP 360 xp? Would that do the job, or is it now obsolete?
  • I was gonna say Zoom G5 as it does everything you're asking for but unfortunately it doesn't have an FX Loop to do 4 cable method. Shame because IMO it's damn close to what you want, and very cheap to get nowadays. 
  • JazzmagJazzmag Frets: 5
    edited January 2023
    Anyone tried the Digitech RP 360 xp? Would that do the job, or is it now obsolete?
    Naa not enough switches. The rp1000 was interesting but it can't switch external amp channels...
  • Jazzmag said:

• Ugh looks like i'll just have to save for a helix lt...