Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Akai 4track lives again - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Akai 4track lives again

Anyone else used to own one of these? 
Been meaning to share a couple of pics of this great machine….. Yes it’s Old Skool!! Knobs and all… 
I bought this new in the 90’s (maybe late 80’s) from Turnkey In Charring Cross road…. 
It had extensive use for a number of years before the transport section packed up ….
I had several people look at at but was told it was terminal…. 
I’d pretty much given up on it until last year I took it to a guy called Darren 
at Retro Amps in Newton Abbot ,Devon. And low and behold he’s sorted it all out . 
It’s an absolute joy to use …. Basically a six track mixer into a four track cassette recorder .
Various bus options,inserts , and send and returns make it super versatile.
plus the recordings have that analogue warmth. . 
  I’ve got a pile of old tapes to go through which is fascinating in itself but will hopefully get some new stuff down soon…. 

And  if you’re in the Westcountry I can’t recommend Darren Retro Amps enough … 

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• That looks great. I've got a tascam, not as fancy as this one though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Beautiful 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    I don’t remember them, but it looks to be very well featured. Glad to see it back in action. 
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 132
    I don’t remember them, but it looks to be very well featured. Glad to see it back in action. 
    They also made a larger 12 track version that used special 1/2” tapes …
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    I have a Yamaha MT3X or MT4X, can't be bothered to look right now.

It knocks spots off my entry level digital Fostex thing whose serial number I also can't be bothered to check.

Some/most of my favourite recordings of myself and others have been made on cassette.
    Some recorded live in a room on a portable cassette player/Ghetto blaster

If anyone is wanting to make money from a recording made on a 4 track, I would point them to the world renowned Howe Gelb and his album 'Hisser' which makes a virtue of it, not a shame based poverty can't afford a studio thing.

My point, I suppose is that if nobody likes your music apart from from a few supportive family and friends, then increasing the expense to record it will make four fifths of fuck all difference.

I love the fact that the lovely looking AKAI appears to have a cushion for the engineers arm.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 283
    Edited to add, I'd gone on a search rabbit hole about cassette 4 tracks, that was a blended response to you OP and murricans from 2017.
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 132
    Yeah the cushions a nice touch … the whole machine has a quality feel about it and for me is so easy to use… I also use a older Yamaha digital aw16g recorder which I know my way round…. My older addled brain now struggles with learning new tech stuff and so computer based recording just frustrates me as I can’t do it without having to think too much …it is a bit of a mental block thing I know…. 
  • Delicious. If you ever decide to sell... :)
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'