Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Headphones for basic home use - Ox Box (Approx £200 budget) - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Headphones for basic home use - Ox Box (Approx £200 budget)

What's Hot
I started going down the headphone rabbit-hole and realised my lack of expertise could probably be guided by the knowledgeable folk on here. 

I understand there are a lot of variables at play here, but I don't have a huge preference for either open or closed back. I'll be using them for 1-2 hours at a time max, mostly for silent playing. Will be doing a little bit of amateur recording/mixing. 

From a recent search the Beyerdynamic DT770 or 880 Pro's seem to work at this price-point. Can anyone attest to this, or have reason to recommend otherwise?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GadgetGadget Frets: 874
    I don't know the Beyerdynamics, but I'm sure they're good.

I have been using the Audio Technica ATH-M50x for a few years now and really like them.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve got ATH-20x  and would reccomend the ATH M50s they are universally regarded as great headphones at a sensible price 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The Beyers are very hard to fault. That said, Ive just got some Rode NTH-100 and I really like them so far. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thank you kindly, I'm not familiar with Audio Technica so will look into this. Rode I am familiar with as far as their mic's go, good stuff!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I love my DT770s. Super comfortable and sound great. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376

I think that you first need to decide whether you want open or closed back.  Generally speaking, open backed are more accurate (have neutral sound) but they ‘leak’ and so are no good for quiet listening, i.e. not disturbing anyone else, or tracking on a mic.  I also find that, when playing guitar, I can still hear the acoustic sound of the guitar quite clearly.  This is an issue if I’m trying to set up sounds whilst playing a hollow body or even semi hollow.  I have to record the guitar, listen back, then make tweaks.

Closed back will give you the isolation in both directions but they won’t be as accurate as open backed.  I don’t find them as comfortable as open backed and I wouldn't use them to mix on.

I have a pair of AKG K702’s (open backed) and an ancient pair of Beyerdynamic DT250’s for tracking.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1896
    I have DT880's and Sennheiser HD650's and much prefer the HD650's. DT880's are more 'hifi' sounding. The HD650's sound more neutral and work really well for monitoring guitar sounds (or anything really). HD650's also have the cables connected via plug and socket, so if you snag the cable when moving around playing guitar, the cables can disconnect without damaging the headphones. I've had mine for best part of 20years and still going strong. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    My current favourites in this price range are the Rode NTH-100 and the Audix A140. The Audio-Technica M50x are super popular for some reason; they're OK, but a bit bright and splashy to my way of thinking. The Sony MDR 7506 are also very popular and even brighter, but some of the other Sony models are good.

It's a shame Oppo discontinued the PM-3, those were great, and you can sometimes find them second-hand. 

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited January 2023
    Stuckfast said:
    My current favourites in this price range are the Rode NTH-100 and the Audix A140. The Audio-Technica M50x are super popular for some reason; they're OK, but a bit bright and splashy to my way of thinking. The Sony MDR 7506 are also very popular and even brighter, but some of the other Sony models are good.

It's a shame Oppo discontinued the PM-3, those were great, and you can sometimes find them second-hand. 
    The M50x are also a touch bass heavy, but they are fun to listen too.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    ive akg k702's, great open back reference 
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • If HD650s are a bit over budget, the HD599s are a very nice, neutral-sounding pair and are also very comfortable, esp for the well-endowed.
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 505
    Another vote for the Audio Technica ATH-M50x here