Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fractal Audio AXE FX 2 - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fractal Audio AXE FX 2

What's Hot
Interested in your thoughts on buying this unit ….there are a few about around £800/850…
Concerns are that it is no longer supported by the maker and the 2 main DSPs are obsolete and no longer available….so any failure and it’s a very expensive doorstop …
but they seem very reliable?…
any users out there like to give their opinions please?
cheers, Paul
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 896
    edited January 2023
    I’ve had an Axe 2 for about five years and, apart from a couple of minor issues, it’s been totally reliable. I bought it used and it very soon developed a problem with the display. I suspected a loose ribbon cable so took the lid off, unplugged the cable, sprayed the contacts with servisol and reattached it. Been fine ever since. It did cut out on me a couple of times at gigs and needed rebooting but it hasn’t done that for years so I suspect a glitch in an earlier firmware version.

There are no further updates from Fractal so it is what it is. In some ways that’s a blessing in that you don’t get an update every few weeks that messes with your sounds, preset levels, etc. I’d be amazed if Fractal/G66 don’t have a stock of dsp chips so they can repair these units but they are very reliable so you take your chances. I still have an old Axe Ultra that I bought used in 2009 and, apart from replacing the battery, it’s been completely reliable and still sounds pretty good.

For a budget of around £850 you could be looking at a used Helix floor or rack which has the advantage of still being updated by Line 6. Does it sound as good as the Fractal? You’ll get fan boys on both sides but, with the standard of high end modelling these days, there’s probably not much in it. The Helix will be easier to tweak than the Axe but the Axe will allow deeper editing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks !!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Reliability is good, and G66 support is superb. Where a secondhand AxeFX II really scores is in the FX. It’s not just cheaper than a rack of effects, or a board of pedals, but more effective (pun intended) because of the way you can configure FX, link them, and patch them together with shared tempo, ADSRs, and LFOs. AxeFX II amp simulation is OK for many styles of playing. They were used quite happily until the AxeFX III came along. 

For £850 you should be able to get an AxeFX II and midi foot pedal such as an MFC101 or a Behringer FC1010. In fact, for that much you can have my backup including rack case.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    I’m not sure I’ve ever really read about an Axe Fx going wrong tbh. 
  • Reliability won’t be a problem and they are a great sounding unit.

However for that money I’d pick up a used FM3, Helix or Kemper. All units that sound just as good and are currently supported.
  • had mine for years and have had no issues what so ever - they are built like tanks
  • Thanks for all the input…..on reflection I think I’ll go for a current production unit…..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter