Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). All the scales, yes, all 4,095 of them - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

All the scales, yes, all 4,095 of them

What's Hot
carloscarlos Frets: 3252
Only for the extremely nerdy, but I just spent 3 hours with a guitar on my lap and a smile on my face browsing this website. I don't even know what 90% of this stuff means (enantiomorph anyone?), but I know my intervals and how to play through a bracelet diagram.
https://ianring.com/musictheory/scales/finder.php

In my case I was looking for minor scales, which in my mind is anything with a minor triad starting at the root, and without a major 3rd. Why? Because if you stack all the commonly used minor scales/modes on each other, that's pretty much what you end up with. Want a b2, sure, Phrygian has that. Want a b5 while keeping the 5 as well since that's in the aforementioned minor tirad? Sure, the blues scale has that so you can use it. And so on, except for the major 3rd*. 
Now, it'd be very boring to play 11 tone scales, so this is where the scale finder above comes in. And I've been having fun trying out the hundreds of possible scales and little variations.

For example, I found this eight tone symmetrical scale with 2 minor triads, 2 major triads, and 4 dim triads called a Van der Horst Octatonic. Did a little chord progression for it, plugged it into my looper and had so much fun inventing melodies with it. I feel this website and me will be friends for a long time.

*- I'm sure there are minor scales with a major 3rd in them, but they're not what I was looking for.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BradBrad Frets: 590
    carlos said:
    And in all 12 keys of course :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    It's actually 4,096 if you include the scale used in 4'33".
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3252
    Brad said:
    carlos said:
    And in all 12 keys of course :lol: 
    These are pitch agnostic, but of course there are over 49k if you want to count them that way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter