Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Gianluca Vialli - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Gianluca Vialli

What's Hot
Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
edited January 2023 in Tributes
Sorry to hear about the death of Gianluca Vialli.  I hadn't realised until a few days ago that he'd been fighting pancreatic cancer since 2017.

A friend of mine is a big Chelsea fan and I remember those years under Hoddle, Gullit and then Vialli felt like the beginning of something big, even though it was some time before Abramovich arrived with his billions.

He always seemed like an intelligent, classy guy and it's sad that he's died at just 58 (my age, as it happens).  RIP.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Lovely player , especially remember watching him at Sampdoria when Channel 4 showed the Italian football . A lovely bloke apparently too

RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Just read about this online- such a shame. Lovely bloke, great player, decent manager. 

I saw a fair bit of Chelsea when he was involved. 

Class act. 

RIP. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    Top Geeze and loved by the fans but another treated poorly by the club. He is my all time Chelsea fave manager...

Rest now Gianluca and thanks.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Smashing player!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Very sad news, I remember hearing he was ill but thought he had recovered. Seemed like a genuinely nice bloke as well as a great player.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    In that first post I used the phrase "fighting cancer", kind of against my better judgement because I've never liked that metaphor.  Having lost relatives to cancer I know that, with the best will in the world, there really wasn't very much they could do to win that "fight".

I've just seen this in the Guardian:

Gianluca Vialli did not lose his battle with cancer, because for him it was never a battle to begin. “I don’t want to fight cancer,” he told the Guardian in 2020, “because it would be too big and powerful an enemy. I feel this is a journey. It’s about travelling with an unwanted travel companion until hopefully it gets bored and dies before me.”

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nice bloke, or should I say ‘chap’.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    He always came over as a genuinely lovely guy, and there are too few of those around in public life.   Great player as well.

RIP Gianluca.