Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Giant Fraud - A Blaggers Guide to... - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Giant Fraud - A Blaggers Guide to...

What's Hot
BradBrad Frets: 590
edited January 2023 in Theory
...Giant Steps lol 

I quickly threw together this short vid with some approaches to playing Giant Steps for those, who like me, struggle to play it and would maybe like a "way in" with how to tackle it. It's not overly detailed or particularly well produced, but it might give some food for thought at least smile

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    Fucking hell that’s awesome!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • westwest Frets: 974
    Great brad ;)  , years ago i attended a couple of the north wales jazz weekends and one of the tutors Corey christiansen showed us this very concept as a way of getting in to G/S  i never fully exploited the lesson and had long forgotten about it , he also did a great thing on quartel harmony ....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BradBrad Frets: 590
    edited January 2023
    @viz thanks my man, greatly appreciated smile 

@west I'm not familiar with Cory Christiansen. Thanks for the vid, I'll check him out! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724
    An easy way that I tried when playing Giant Steps was using three keys, but converted to Dorian. It works(ish). ;)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    GuyBoden said:
    An easy way that I tried when playing Giant Steps was using three keys, but converted to Dorian. It works(ish). ;)
    A la Pat Martino?
  • Terrific. Thanks for taking the time to do this. You've made my day !! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Terrific. Thanks for taking the time to do this. You've made my day !! 
    You’re very welcome! Knowing it’s made your day, has made my day :smile: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dcgdcg Frets: 206
    Great vid, and great information: Giant Steps is a bear of a tune, and it's good to hear someone playing over those changes - on guitar - with such confidence and fluidity...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    dcg said:
    Great vid, and great information: Giant Steps is a bear of a tune, and it's good to hear someone playing over those changes - on guitar - with such confidence and fluidity...
    Thank you! Yep it’s a grind indeed, when clinging on for dear life I don’t always feel confident or fluid with it!
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 387
    This is excellent stuff Brad.  Trane changes are interesting enough harmonically that using these pentatonics sounds beautiful and not at all like a blag.  I really like the open sound over the changes, top stuff indeed.
  • Brad said:
    ...Giant Steps lol 

I quickly threw together this short vid with some approaches to playing Giant Steps for those, who like me, struggle to play it and would maybe like a "way in" with how to tackle it. It's not overly detailed or particularly well produced, but it might give some food for thought at least smile

This is the first instructional video I’ve seen here that I actually want to watch!
    joeW said:
    This is excellent stuff Brad.  Trane changes are interesting enough harmonically that using these pentatonics sounds beautiful and not at all like a blag.  I really like the open sound over the changes, top stuff indeed.
    Cheers! I’ve always thought the pentatonic scale gets a lot of unfair flack. I kind of went through a phase of rejecting it myself for a while. Like you say, it has a lovely open quality to it. 

This is the first instructional video I’ve seen here that I actually want to watch!
    I hope it’s worth the time!
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    Lovely job Brad, some excellent fluid playing there and some interesting tips. Dare I say it even sounded a bit Holdsworthy.

I feel your pain on the 'clinging on for dear life' comment! I've often thought that at some of my gigs! :)
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
    thing said:
    Lovely job Brad, some excellent fluid playing there and some interesting tips. Dare I say it even sounded a bit Holdsworthy.

I feel your pain on the 'clinging on for dear life' comment! I've often thought that at some of my gigs! :)
    Thank you! Yeah I’m a huge Holdsworth fan, so I guess old habits die hard and all… not that I ever really copped much of his playing! 
  • Thank you, really helpful!
    Thank you, really helpful!
    You’re welcome and I sure hope so :smile: 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 724

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."