Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Standing ovation for Squier 40th basses - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Standing ovation for Squier 40th basses

What's Hot
dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
I’ve been feeling a pull back to my roots of late and wanted to play more bass. I had the lovely Ibanez I’ve just sold on here but a modern take with active pickups and preamp isn’t really my bag, I wanted something crude, old school and preferably, cheap.

My hunt took me to two of these newish Squiers and because they are pretty cheap, both together were just a little change over £500. The idea is to keep one and sell one but……..  :3

I’ve liked pretty much all the Squiers I’ve played but these two feel a step up again. The satin finish is very classy and both necks feel superb, in terms of the woodwork and the fretwork. The hardware is all solid with a very cool subtle ageing and the pickups do what they should. Really not sure I could ask much more of a P or J Bass 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Thats the second time today I've ogled one of those Ps. 

Both look great, good work. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Thats the second time today I've ogled one of those Ps. 

Red is my least favourite colour on a guitar and I definitely don’t like gold. Yet somehow this looks gorgeous and best of all, just feels old. Can highly recommend 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I got one of the Late 50s P's which is basically the same with gloss finish and it's been great. If I had space for another I'd grab one of the satin blonde P's because they look amazing.
  • dazzajl said:
    Thats the second time today I've ogled one of those Ps. 

Red is my least favourite colour on a guitar and I definitely don’t like gold. Yet somehow this looks gorgeous and best of all, just feels old. Can highly recommend 
    If I didnt already have a P I would genuinely be all over these. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    That red & gold P bass is the shizzle what a beauty
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Would still happily recommend these two, they play well above their pay grade. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    I absolutely love that red P bass with the gold pickguard , got so much Gas for it at the moment 

I absolutely love that red P bass with the gold pickguard , got so much Gas for it at the moment 

I don’t like red guitars and I don’t like gold and yet this looks absolutely gorgeous to me. Just works! I’m not sure it would work nearly as well in a gloss finish, the satin is perfect. 
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 944
    I've been fancying a Squier bass to upgrade from my Cort short scale, these look delicious. 

Honestly Squier are providing the best value for money at the moment (although price rises have been horrific across the board). From my Bullet Mustang (which has been upgraded with new HBs, Wilko tuners and a decent nut), my 2022 Affinity Tele Deluxe, My 20...20? Contemporary Strat, my 40th birthday Paranormal Cabronita (stunning) to my all time number 1 guitar, the Affinity Jazzmaster I bought from PMT when my ex and I split 3 years ago. All I've done with that one is add Irongear Alchemist P90s but it plays like a much older, finer guitar. Baffled at how good it is considering it's cost me less than £200 in total. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    As a Squier guitar fan, I approve 100%.

I think the Red P-Bass just edges it for me, but I can see you keeping both!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    I understand the historical correctness of the anodised gold scratchplate but, with that shade of red, single ply white plastic would look better.

I have a metallic red 2014 Squier VM PJ Bass. Its stock BWB pickguard looked so naff against the red. Change to WBW and the instrument looks way better. 
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    I don't get these at all. They were mentioned on Basschat as well, so I went to try them out and compare against the old (circa 2013) Squier CV series and the latter wins; however, I would say that the neck finish has improved.

If I didn't have my alder Dean, I'd be going for an ash Sire, rather than a Squier made of nyatoh and Indian laurel.