Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What Amp should I use with my Korg Monologue Synth ?? - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What Amp should I use with my Korg Monologue Synth ??

What's Hot
As above ??? What Amp should I use with my Korg Monologue Synth ?? . . . 

Will I ruin my Champ if I put the Synth through it ??
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270
    No, you won't ruin your Champ but you will get a flatter frequency response (ie. more pleasant sound) if you can use a keyboard or PA amp and speaker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    It won't hurt your Champ at low volumes, but be aware of low frequencies.The full, rich sound will not really shine through guitar gear. Failing speakers / mixer or straight into headphones, I'd suggest a small bass or keyboard amp works best for this sort of thing. I've a small Roland Cube that takes little synths and drum machines like, well, a champ.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    The only thing to bear in mind using a synth with a guitar amp is that high resonance settings of the synth's filter produce a way bigger signal than anything a guitar can throw at it. So a marginal amp/speaker may be fine with a guitar but blow with a synth making (say) a typical kick drum patch where a resonant filter is pitched down with an envelope.

But do it! :) I ran a Moog D through my Marshall SuperBass and 4x12 once. When the neighbours were out. Addictive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    As already said, it won't harm the *amp*, but could be risky for the speaker, even at relatively low volumes, because of the huge amount of low frequencies and transients that a synth can produce. And it also won't sound very good - although maybe acceptable at *very* low volume - both because the speaker can't reproduce those low frequencies properly, or high frequencies at all really, since it doesn't have a tweeter.

Ideally you need a dedicated keyboard amp, but failing that a small bass amp, preferably with a tweeter, would work well and without risk.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    As others have already hinted, you should probably be more worried about what high gain valve guitar amplifier circuitry and loudspeakers would do to the sounds from the synth.

Once upon a time, many keyboard players ran their instruments through a sub-mixer into a Roland Jazz Chorus JC-120. Clean and plenty loud!
    Be seeing you.
  • A powered monitor or dedicated keyboard/full range bass amp. Or home mixer and monitors,  a hifi would be better than a small guitar amp.

At gigs.. into the desk and then a monitor.

Any guitar amp will massively colour the tone and crap out the bottom end as well as the high detail.  Good for a gnarly effect occasionally but not to hear the range of the instrument.