Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Amp - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Amp

What's Hot
What's the best amp for home recording and home practice, money not a consideration, thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited December 2022
    My permanent studio amp is a Mark Series Boogie.   3 channels, masses of high gain and crunch, great cleans, graphic EQ.

I keep Marshalls, an 18w and a heavily modded champ around too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    An amp you really love that has a good master volume. Failing that, an ox box, high end modeller (kemper etc) or boutique little 'un like a champ or a tone king gremlin?

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    Kemper
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    There isn't a right answer. It depends what you like.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Personally for me, I don't like using the same amp for recording .. or the same guitar. I prefer to have a few different things. I have a Marshall, a Blackstar, a Fender Hotrod and a copy of a Matchless and all those amps cost less than a Helix. They live under the stairs and I have a mic in there I can move to any amp. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    In my humble opinion, the BEST Practice Amp for the Home is a Fender Champ . . . .  It goes without saying that it must be almost noise / hum free of course to aid with recording etc. but, with a few decent pedals they really do take some beating . . . .

I have an amazing Tube Amp Doctor 1 x 8" Champ Clone  and an Empiretone 1 x 10" + 1 x 8" Champ Clone and both are really quiet in operation with literally Zero background noise. In terms of Volume I rarely take either of them over "5" . . . .

In the house, even a 5 Watt Champ Clone can be loud enough for neighbours to moan about . . . 

https://i.imgur.com/rrPPBir.jpg
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• So the best option is two amps.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    DaveJames said:
    So the best option is two amps.

Three, or n+1
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Kemper
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    DaveJames said:
    So the best option is two amps.

No you dont really need two Amps . . . I use the two together to get the best from my Stereo Reverb or my Stereo Delay . . Prior to getting the Empiretone I just had the 1 x 8" Champ Clone and that was more than sufficient for Practice . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• Too many variables really to be able to suggest one, depends on what features you want and how you use it. All of the above sound like decent suggestions. 

If money was no object though, I'd probably go to someone like Rift, Two Rock, Lazyj etc and get them to build an amp to my exact requirements, and a second one as a spare. That would be expensive though. 
  • My champ is through a 12” Celestion Blue.  The mods give me more gain and some tone/presence control.  It sounds stunning for 5w.

Classic circuit.
  • I used a Mesa Mark IV or a Rivera years ago.  I now use a Helix and some plug-ins.  Albeit badly, I feel I was in more control using analogue.  I’m not great with loads of options. 
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 306
    2 of the 4 i got listed FS here, incidentally the 2 made by Suhr,  and the SLO30 also listed here. 
    shameless plug but i believe it.  

generally, amps that are voiced to cut without much tweaking and that retain whatever’s special about them in the lower frequencies when you turn the bass low.. 
    divided by 13 fall in that category as do vox derivatives. . 
    speaker or presumably IR choice very important. 

The lower wattage amps with built in IR loaders are canny too if you are a sensible person and don’t like hoarding 100W heads like me. 

Suhr PT15IR, Revv, Runt 
  • Thanks for the info, what amp would you recommend just for home recording, direct input into the recording device?
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 306
    only tried the suhr  pt15 ir which is a legit 3ch amp built for direct in but more have come out since. if direct recording is important than I’d suggest a search of amps with such features and buy the one that sounds best to you. 
    Revv, Friedman runt, a mesa with built in cab clone , even Diezel have one, the VHX 
    all good amps and sounds in their own right, just look for tones and features you prefer. no of channels, british vs american etc.

Then, try IRs from a producer; some refer to them as mix-ready. they tend to be brighter and cut better in a track but take getting used to if you’re just noodling. Bogren and GetGood are good. practicing through headphones is also tricky and needs some dedicated eq and verb if you’re pushing gainy tones through small drivers straight in your ear canal. 

• I have picked up a bunch of cab IRs.  They drastically improve the DI outs from my tube amps.