Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How to Use or Replace(half)Diminished Chords. - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How to Use or Replace(half)Diminished Chords.

What's Hot
I have heard that slash chords often replace diminished chords in popular music? If so how do you decide which slash chord to use? For example say,in the key of C B diminished is the 7th chord before returning the half step interval back to the Octave,if playing in order. What would we use if we replaced B dim,would it be a form of B or something else altogether?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited December 2022
    In a major key, in 99.999% of cases, the chord built off the 7th degree of the scale (eg in C major, the b(dim) chord) is actually a V chord (a G or G7) in 1st inversion. This b(dim) behaves exactly as a G7 chord and resolves up to the C, as normal. It just doesn’t have the G at the bottom. 

G7 is G B D F; 

b(dim) is B D F. 

So instead of writing b(dim), you could write G7/B.

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1887
    edited December 2022
    I think maybe you mean the 5th chord (G), with the major seventh of C major (B) as the slash. So C would take G/B, G would take D/F#, etc. Not sure if this is what you're driving at but it resolves nicely. To my ears ears it sound a bit more "modern" than the diminished.

Edit: Beaten to it but at least we said basically the same thing :D

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211

Edit: Beaten to it but at least we said basically the same thing :D

Great minds :)
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks people. Very nice explanations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter