Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Beginner banjo question - lessons - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Beginner banjo question - lessons

What's Hot
Greetings folks,
The man in red brought me a 5-string banjo this year, an unexpected and gratefully received gift. However, ive never picked one up in my life before. Now it's tuned to open G, i would like advice on any recommended tutorials/lessons to be found online.
No particular branch of music, just somewhere to learn a few techniques.

Much appreciated,
Adam
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• The Deering YouTube channel has some decent stuff, and they have a beginners' portal here:

But first you'll want to listen to/look at some videos of clawhammer vs three finger and pick a style to have a crack at.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    As it happens, it's a Deering Goodtime that i received. Frets need polishing and the fret ends need rounding off, but otherwise really pleased with it.
    I'll check out the links/videos you suggest, thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sounds great - I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun with it. For a brief and very watchable explanation of different styles, see also these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpUq6P5Avo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5LeYKLhk6Q   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Fantastic stuff! Thank you. The Bela Flack/Abi Washburn video I had actually come across already (cue firing up some Spotify playlists), but not the first one.
    A *huge* problem with both videos though is that all this wonderful music is coming out of their banjo's but it's near impossible to see their fingers moving and know how they're playing it :) 

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    edited December 2022
    Watching this thread as I’ve just been offered a gig that involves a bit of Banjo, Although, I don’t even own one yet!

I’ve always enjoyed a bit of fingerpicking but wow these banjo players do it at warp speed. Not 100% I’ve got that in me. Should be an interesting excursion in my musical journey.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @Kalimna ;
    Remember, tone is affected by head tension, and to get even tension all around the rim is important. 

The best way for a newbie to achieve this is with a Drum Dial. 

:) 
    How much tension? 88-92 on a Drum Dial is about right.

Don't go higher or you may bust the head.

Ok, thanks for the tip. Time to find a drum dial!
    edited December 2022
    The other important bit is bridge position.

You'd think the bridge needs to be the same distance from the 12th fret as the nut. Nooo.

That's in the ballpark but has to be taken back towards the tailpiece from there. Use a good tuner and the 12th fret harmonic and fretted on 1st and 4th strings to fine tune bridge position, then mark the head with a pencil to get the bridge  quickly back in position if it should move.

Now that bit about compensation of bridge position i do know about :) However, marking with a pencil is a good idea.
    OK, well let me be specific.

To dial in bridge position you use the 1st and 4th strings. To set the treble side you play a harmonic at the 12th fret, then fret at the 12th. You adjust until both match. You repeat this on the bass side then back to treble side to check that hasn't moved. Ok?

Sorry misread. I thought you'd said you don't understand. 

No worries :) Your advice is very much appreciated! As it happens, i think the bridge has been well positioned already.

I will go over the fret ends at some point - a bit sharp and unfinished.
    So, there's two main ways to play it: bluegrass or clawhammer.

Bluegrass is all about rolls and clawhammer is not. The latter is pluck the 3rd string with index or middle finger, brush the trebles then thumb plucks the 5th string. Both styles are available on YouTube.

Eagle Music (Huddersfield) is a good place to get banjos and accessories, staffed by experienced banjoists like Matt.
    Mail order if you can't get there. 

@Mellish Thank you for all the info :) I dont think i'll need to pop down to Huddersfield for a while - its probably best for marital harmony that i learn to play the banjo ive got before gas'ing for another :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    The next time I'm on my way up to Callander I expect to hear some hoedown banjo picking from across the Teith just as I smell the malt wafting over  :)
    All part of the service!

One other handy tool is a bracket wrench for the lugs.

Couple of quid. 

There's also different heads. Fiberskyn, frosted, renaissance and (if you have no objection) real calfskin.

If you do object, fiberskyn is the man-made alternative. 

edited December 2022
    Also, there's a pattern I use for tightening the brackets in pairs. 

The reason for this is that I find i  get better tone. 

If you want to try it, just post here or send me a PM. 

• The man in red also left a banjo at my house. Mine is tuned to Cm, as I want to play Journey Of the Sorcerer by The Eagles, best known as the theme to The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy. 

Thanks for all the advice from posters, looks like mine is well set up. And it included a hard case to keep it so.

Peaceful New Year to all.

@Kalimna ; "Play Bluegrass Banjo by Ear" by the late Bill Keith is a DVD  aimed at beginners and should get the basics under your belt.

However, banjo heads (at least new ones) are not stable. They stretch, brackets become loose, and that's why you need to get used to tensioning the head.

Ahh, gotcha (head tensioning). I'll also check out the DVD you recommend.

So far, ive managed the first few bars of 'Duelling Banjos'...... No cliche there, eh?
    edited January 2023
    @Kalimna ;;Well that's not bad.

Here's the head tensioning pattern I use. It's in pairs and starts right of the neck heel with 1 (going clockwise with 24 on the other side of the heel):

1 & 24

12 & 13
    6 & 7
    18 & 19
    3 & 4
    15 & 16
    9 & 10
    21 & 22
    2 & 5
    14 & 17
    8 & 11
    20 & 23.
    This is for an 11" head

@HCDavies ;

Same to you mate :) 
    edited January 2023
    @Kalimna ; another, very good DVD is "The Complete 5 String Banjo Player" by Tony Trischka.

He explains forward/backward rolls and both  hands  can be seen in detail.

The beauty of a DVD is that you can stop and rewind as many times as it takes.

Thank you for all your advice - it has been very kind of you!
    You're welcome

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Get Steve Martin to pop over for an evening