Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Terry Hall - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Terry Hall

What's Hot
Gutted, just gutted. RIP Terry.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Yep - gutted.

RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 598
    Really sad news, gutted. RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    Truly terrible news. Gutted 
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Just saw the news, terrible shock.
    Such an original, pugnacious, vital, creative spirit.
    RIP rude boy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    :'( 
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 290
    edited December 2022
    Such a shock. My wife and I both love The Specials. Too Much Too Young was an anthem to me and my school mates back in the day. First Wilko Johnson and now Terry Hall - it's been a bad few weeks. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited December 2022
    V.sad news and too young.

I liked The Specials as they had an edge and were socially and politically savvy. However, it's only in the last few years since my band went from just having played Madness songs to introduce other ska stuff from The Selector, Bad Manners, The Beat and of course, The Specials -  that's when I got a real appreciation for their music and lyrics and they became my favourite songs to play.

My wife's a Coventronian with links to the major bands of 'that time'. She said this will hit the city hard :(
  • My first ever album was More Specials, I thought TH and Suggs were the coolest and smartest people alive back then, even more impressive knowing now what Terry went through as a young man. RIP
    Was lucky enough to see the specials at a few festivals over the years. I was stunned and saddened by how relevant the messages in the songs still were after so many years. Very astute and incisive

This is a good read, about the recording of Ghost Town
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2103
    The Specials, was my very first gig as a youngster. Them and Buster Bloodvessel.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Just seen the news flash on my phone. Shocking to me and sad. The Specials were in the process of recording a new album, don't know how far any of it had got so wether we will hear Terry on new material again. 
    As well as The Specials he had Fun Boy Three, solo projects and The Colourfield (and probably other stuff I've forgotten) so a fair old range of music. I've seen him live twice and he's a very individual but completely engaging front man. I've played a dozen Specials songs in bands so heard his voice and watched him on YouTube a huge amount of times as well as loving the band's albums and singles. Very clever and witty as well as talented and, as mentioned above, went through some difficult times in his youth so nothing was ever handed to him. 
    A very unique man. Very sad news. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Only 63.  :/

RIP
  • Remarkable life story, I had no idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/dec/19/terry-hall-lead-singer-of-the-specials-dies-aged-63

I was too young for punk, but The Specials and Two-Tone were very exciting in 1979. Music, clothes, haircuts, politics… 63 is no age.
  • Ghost Town - one of my top 5 of all time.

Terrible shame he's been taken so young.

xxx
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Just shit. Sorry I can't be more positive tonight. Shit. RIP. :/
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Oh, man. 63?!

RIP.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I'm quite shocked.  I was never a fan as such, it wasn't my kind of music... but I liked The Specials and the Fun Boy Three because they're from the era when I essentially liked everything in the charts.

He always seemed like a cool, smart, funny bloke.  And only 63.  RIP.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    When I first heard Gangsters it was like hearing something from another planet.

RIP. 
  • RIP Terry :( 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• This is the interview referred to in some of the news articles, Terry talking about his background. Need to start about 8 minutes in. 

https://youtu.be/JSvxztG1Lv8

And to post something that isn’t The Specials or FB3 this is Terry’s original version of Sense from his jangly 90s period (later a hit for The Lightning Seeds). Lovely song. 

https://youtu.be/cAAtVyox7cI
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 961
    edited December 2022
    Sad day. 
  • Terry Hall had a real punk attitude that set him apart from the rest of the ska scene. The Specials really captured Britain of that time too. A very important band for me and my friends post punk. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I wasn't into SKA or Two Tone during the early 80s but I didn't dislike it. 

What I did like and do appreciate even more now, 40 years on, are the songwriting and attitude.

TH's contribution is timeless and ironically, looking at our current broken socio-economic landscape, I think The Specials would still be right on-point.

I'm sure there will be some documentaries and TV airings shortly which I'll certainly watch. I wanna learn a bit more about him.

Sad loss indeed :cry: 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Ghost Town just brilliant .......it always makes me think of places like Clacton on Sea or Walton-on-the- Naze
    Vibrant 50's/60s Kiss me Quick Holiday Utopias that have been dead and deserted for 40 years just decay ,boarded-up houses and shopfronts and abandoned Amusement Parks and Piers that were once alive with Fairground Lights , Candy Floss and Arcades.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I was never a fan of Ska or any of those bands at all, but having said that, The Specials had some really iconic singles back in the day, really good stuff. Sad news, it sounds like he was a really good guy, and 63 is no age at all.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    RIP Terry :(

Truly a generational spokesman ! Some absolutely brilliant tunes and ascerbic lyrics (Much Too Young and Ghost Town in particular).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Jesus.. that’s a real shocker! What a talent..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I was due to see The Specials around 4 years ago in Manchester with my Dad, but due to a change of life/buying a house and moving, we sold the tickets as we had so much going on.

Now I regret it.

I always wanted to see them live.

At around 12/13 I hit the 90s punk revival with Green Day, Rancid, etc, and that got me into more underground bands (which is still my favourite scene today) and it also opened my eyes to ska.

I'd heard Madness and I'd probably heard The Specials at that point and not known it (maybe 1994 ish?) but as I got more and more into punk I heard more and more ska/reggae/dub elements and it's a genre I really enjoy, especially live. Obviously I got into The Specials eventually. Their recent few albums have been great as well. It's a shame to hear they were in the process of writing/recording more material...I hope they release some of it even as an EP.

Terry was a great frontman and one of the coolest voices in ska, He will be missed. He looked so healthy and happy....such a shame.