Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Distortion/ OD Modeller stomp box or Pedal - Deftone-esque sound, high gain - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Distortion/ OD Modeller stomp box or Pedal - Deftone-esque sound, high gain

What's Hot
Hi all

Long time since I have been here so nice to be back. 

I'm part of a band playing in Drop C playing some modern Metal/ Heavy Rock and my Blackstar HT 20 is sounding muddy at high volumes in practice. 

So I'm thinking of switching so something like a Orange Pedal Baby for a loud clean sound and investing in Decent Distortion/ OD pedals instead of using distortion from an Amp. 

However pedals have move on significantly since the last time I bought a distortion pedal , so I wondered if there was a Distortion Modelling pedal I could get to fit on my board which would cover Metal/ Heavy rock or if there's a good Distortion/OD pedal that would cover this. 

Looking to play deftones , SOAD, Blackstone cherry, Dream State , Yonaka .

Looking to spend up to £200. 

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Xbox One Tag :- LunaticSalmon

Steam Tag :- Dickinstein

Origin Tag :- ATDickinson428

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Steph carpenter has literally used everything, original pod, helix, fractal , jmp 1 preamps and everything in between. If your playing loud heavy music, make sure your amp and cab can go loud enough. The low frequencies need more energy to make them loud.
    Good news is that any of the modellers/pedals out there will give you an excellent heavy distorted sound. New, the boss gt1 will be great. If you don’t mind slightly older tech, the pod hd500x will be great, too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Both the Boss GT1 and the Line 6 Hd500x seem to be more of a multi FX pedal but thanks for the suggestion. To be clear I have alot of pedals on my board d and want to keep using them , I just need a distortion specific pedal either modelling or dedicated 

• Oh, ok. Then try the Evh 5150 pedal or one of the Bogner reds. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    edited December 2022 tFB Trader
    My recommendation would be the Boss OD-200

It's got quite a few models of various distortion boxes, but the one I think you will be interested in is the DS-1X model (X Dist).

The interesting thing about this is that it uses the Boss MDP multiband technology which means it stays really tight down to really insane drop tunings. 

Check this video he starts in D and then goes to a C guitar using the standalone pedal but it's the same algorithm in the OD-200:

I have a Boss GT-1000 and I use this model all the time for metal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Do like that Ds1x on the Boss OD-200. Think that maybe the one. Can save settings on it as well which will help with gigs going forward. Just need to get this after Christmas and start towards getting a Orange Pedal Baby next. 

Thanks again guys. I remember why I used to use the forum all the time :-)