Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PSA - Julian Lage (Manchester) - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PSA - Julian Lage (Manchester)

What's Hot
Julian Lage is playing at the Band on the Wall in Manchester in April for those who are interested.

https://serious.org.uk/events/julian-lage-trio
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• andyscandysc Frets: 69
    Thanks. Seeing this made me look up other dates, and the London one is a bit easier for me. I also saw on his website that he is playing Cheltenham Jazz Festival, which hasn't been announced on their website yet but is a nice surprise!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oh cool, Dave King on drums too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BradBrad Frets: 590
    I’ll be getting my ticket 
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 353
    Thanks for that.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    Anyone heading to this tonight? Just bought myself a ticket. Might try to persuade @Leisceoir too.

Anyone know who the support is?
    Well, talk about captivating. The control of dynamic range in those hands (amongst everything else). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    My word yeah, the two lines going on at once thing was incredible, and I always love watching Dave King. It did get a bit much for me to take in at some points, too much information to keep up! But really enjoyed it, and loved how clearly excited they were to be playing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    My word yeah, the two lines going on at once thing was incredible, and I always love watching Dave King. It did get a bit much for me to take in at some points, too much information to keep up! But really enjoyed it, and loved how clearly excited they were to be playing.
    I picked up on that too! Lage really looked like he was loving being up there, with the audience responding in kind. Was lovely to witness. 

So in control, yet so on the edge. That solo introduction he did to one of the earlier tunes in the set pretty much melted my tiny mind. Definitely feeling like selling all my gear and giving up haha :weary: 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    edited April 2023 tFB Trader
    My word yeah, the two lines going on at once thing was incredible
    I was there last night and that was the most amazing thing. 

Julian is just an an incredible guitarist.

Were you there @RickLucas
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2588
    Saw him at the Cheltenham gig today. Wow
    Anyone else managed to go to the Cheltenham gig?
    edited May 2023
    Overheard some gear/Collings conversations so it would feel like a natural fit to the community
    This was the gear in Manchester, no doubt it was the same as in Cheltenham. Looks like a turbo tuner, Flint, a Pete Cornish of some sort, and whatever that “Big” pedal is. 

Definitely one of the best guitarists I’ve seen. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Brad said:
     whatever that “Big” pedal is. 
    It's a Shin-ei BG-1 Big 1 Preamp Gain Boost Pedal  
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 378
    A Pete Cornish pedal? My mate who came with me has been scouring the internet trying to find out what the mystery pedal is.  I’ll let him know.  Thanks for the tip. 
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 127
    Yes, looks like a Cornish OC-1 compressor. A decent shot from the London gig that you can zoom in on: https://www.instagram.com/p/Crn6JciIkXa/
    Yeah I did think it might have been the OC-1, but then his dynamic range was so wide I doubted myself… however I’ve no experience with that particular pedal. 

It's a Shin-ei BG-1 Big 1 Preamp Gain Boost Pedal  
    Ahhh there we go. Well, however he was using his small collection of very expensive pedals, his tone was sublime. 

I think they're pretty much all always on right?
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 353

Yes, and I loved everything about it, except the £6.30 for a pint of Guinness!
    RickLucas said:

Yes, and I loved everything about it, except the £6.30 for a pint of Guinness!
    Yep, that hurt me too!