Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). House move - music setup around work desk ideas - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

House move - music setup around work desk ideas

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Depends on how small and your budget.

The SVS 3000 Micro is genuinely good, and very tweakable, but its £900.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My budget is low, I need adequate rather than good. I'm not really going to notice the benefits with my level of music.
    That one is more than my entire setup is worth :)

Not to worry, was just an idea
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    Plan on two screens/computer monitors. So much better for working.   

Invest in a decent pair of powered monitors it will make it all so much more rewarding.  I have a Denon hifi set up on my desk studio too so I can switch to a typical home setup.
    This is exactly what I have! My speakers/monitors are stacked too, either side of the two screens. I have a tower PC, Dell laptop and a Mac Mini on an HDMI switcher for the screens.

Desk - I built from key clamps, scaffolding and OSB board - it's about a metre deep on the desk top. I have a large frame overhead with a big shelf too, across the width of the desk, more scaffolding. 
    1.6m wide, 1 m deep. More than big enough to get everything on, including a Blackstar Flybass amp! Was v chuffed with myself when I put this together. 
  • Is there such thing as a mini subwoofer, that I could use with my studio monitors which seem to actively cut the bass out? Or do they need to be big out of necessity (which I imagine is the case)

House moves look to be falling through completely but would still be good to get my setup minimalised if we are stuck in this place
    You should be able to get reasonable low end out of monitors. Some of them have controls on the back to set a a high pass filter for when they are paired with a sub. Have you checked that they are set flat? 

Could also be a room problem as well. You might find it handy to use either a referencing plugin like metric A/B or otherwise just a simple EQ to isolate just the low end so you can hear what's going on. 
  • Is there such thing as a mini subwoofer, that I could use with my studio monitors which seem to actively cut the bass out? Or do they need to be big out of necessity (which I imagine is the case)

House moves look to be falling through completely but would still be good to get my setup minimalised if we are stuck in this place
    You should be able to get reasonable low end out of monitors. Some of them have controls on the back to set a a high pass filter for when they are paired with a sub. Have you checked that they are set flat? 

Could also be a room problem as well. You might find it handy to use either a referencing plugin like metric A/B or otherwise just a simple EQ to isolate just the low end so you can hear what's going on. 
    That could be the case with most monitor speakers but I think these are just not very good ones to be honest - there's a couple of replies further up the thread which point to this. Only a volume control on these, using the EQ options on my modelling unit or on a mixer before inputting into them does nothing unless they are extremely boosted, at which point it just distorts.

Sadly no budget to get good ones or to play the trial and error game at this point. Not to worry. Going to try a cheap soundbar plus woofer system thing I found in the loft at some point as I recall that sounding better than these monitors at some point in the past
  • I mean if you have stuff lying around its worth a try but I reckon if you are spending money then trying to add a subwoofer would have worse results than just upgrading, especially if you are willing to go second hand. 
  • I understand the logic, but I also kind of put a price on my own time and that price increases massively if the time involved includes having to deal with people to sell stuff and then to buy replacements as I don't deal especially well with the process
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    I am very confused by this discussion.  As I understand it, the OP wants to arrange his computer desk to cater for work and music.  Which is the most important?  Your answer will guide you,
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Sorry, my ideas and discussions do often go off track a bit, not least because I'm a bit odd in my perception of things.

Essentially, I need to take up less space in the new house (if we ever actually get there) and I hoped to take the opportunity to fix a couple of issues I currently have and combine it into one item of furniture rather than two. 
    I already have a work desk, and can't work at home without it, so I hoped using that made sense but at the same time, it brings problems.

I dunno, probably all a big waste of time as I'm shit at it anyway lol