Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Guitarists road trip - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Guitarists road trip

What's Hot
stufisherstufisher Frets: 612
Caught this clip earlier and it got me thinking .

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFbe2MHv/

If you were going to do a guitarists road trip of the USA then where would you go? Who would you want with you? What guitar/ instrument would you want with you?

Firstly, I'd head to Nashville with a 'beater' acoustic and busk on my own  ... what happened after that would define the trip and possibly my life.

Has anyone on tFB actually done this or something like it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• It would be California for me , the sunset strip , busk on Venice beach with a portable amp 
      Sound check live at that bowling alley , rainbow bar & grill , whisky a go go .  Guitar centre to put my hands in Slash’s hand prints . Then Las Vegas , norms rare guitars f some of the local rock joints 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I've done 2 long road trips across the US ... New York, Florida beaches, Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Vegas, some towns in Arizona, Hollywood. Long Beach and Venice in LA

I didn't take a guitar though, you need all kind of permits to work over there as a muso. I found in general, the standard of bands over there in terms of playing and singing is far higher than here. Especially in Harlem NY, Nashville and LA 

We have been offered a couple of gigs in NY but it's too much expense, would need to be at least 5 gigs over a week to be worth it. 

I wouldn't actually take a guitar, there's so many pawn shops where you can pick up something gigable for $200, another $300 for an amp and then just sell it back before returning home. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Highway 61.  Starting in New Orleans and then heading up the Blues Highway through Vicksburg, Clarksdale, Memphis and Nashville.  Continuing on to St Louis, and then heading up through Indianapolis and Detroit to finally wash up in Chicago.

I'd want my wife, no damn kids, a battered acoustic and a beat-up Cadillac for the trip.
  • Cols said:
    Highway 61.  Starting in New Orleans and then heading up the Blues Highway through Vicksburg, Clarksdale, Memphis and Nashville.  Continuing on to St Louis, and then heading up through Indianapolis and Detroit to finally wash up in Chicago.

I'd want my wife, no damn kids, a battered acoustic and a beat-up Cadillac for the trip.
    For our wedding anniversarywe went from Nashville, south along the blues trail to New Orleans. Stopped at a place called the Shack Up Inn, which is loads of old huts. They have a bunch of parlour guitars you can borrow for your stay. It was nice just sitting on the porch, noodling away for a few hours.

I’d also agree with the statement further up. The players over there, especially in Nashville are a step up.
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4759
    edited December 2022
    I'd go on a road trip with @Clarky , @tanihhiavlt and @WiresDreamDisasters, through Europe visiting various luthiers, manufacturers, and musicians such as Wolf Hoffmann and Justin Hawkins.  

I'm sure that Clarky's car is big enough to transport us all; however, it may add an extra dimension of fun to do it by train.

I think it may be a good enough idea for Channel 5, if not BBC3.

To answer the OP as to what 
    guitar/ instrument would you want with me? I'd want an electric guitar.

I actually know which guitar it would be: my orange Vigier Kaos, It's lovely in every way.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Cols said:

Pretty much this (but not with @Cols ‘s wife obviously - Mrs9000 is a bit more of a known quantity).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    I did a USA tour in about 1999 - Urmston, Sale, Altrincham...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    edited December 2022
    HAL9000 said:
    Cols said:

Pretty much this (but not with @Cols ‘s wife obviously - Mrs9000 is a bit more of a known quantity).
    Very wise.  Mrs Cols is cunning, and would delete your carefully curated US road trip playlist of blues, soul and Motown in favour of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Motley Crue and Rob Zombie.