Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Entire History Of Reaper - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Entire History Of Reaper

What's Hot
A shortish video for all you Reaper users and fans out there who are interested in how it all started and then progressed through all the versions

I'm still running on v5.99..
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Oh cool. Added to my watch later list. Thanks 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Thanks! I hadnt realised the Winamp link!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I've still got the very first version which was around a 4Mb download I think. @Grunfeld brought it to my attention years ago on the old forum, either Guitarist or Music Radar 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited December 2022
    I started using it in 2007.

At the time, I thought I needed to order a version on disc as backup, which was shipped from the US  

I've still got the disc (pic below). The version on the disc is 1.888, dated 23/8/2007 and has a file size of 2.427KB.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    I was a Sonar user and happy with it till they brought out a version (?v.8) which just wouldn't work on my system and their customer support was crap.  Really crap. 
    I only intended to use Reaper as a stop gap and tbh I didn't believe it would work.  I'd been paying a few hundred for Sonar and here was this programme which was free if you didn't mind the nag screen or just $30 otherwise. 
    Once I'd done the learning curve there was no going back.
    I'm many years out of recording now.  God knows what it's capable of.  I've only used it a couple of times in the last year for very basic stuff.  Still works though.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    I was a late starter to Reaper, bought my license for V5 something.
    Ordered the hard copy of the manual, which cost more than the license, and have probably only opened it a couple of times.
    Currently on V6.91 ( still on 6.66 on one machine----cos )
    Still on same license, best $60 I ever spent in music production, and I must have been using it for well over 5 years now.
    Amazing piece of software.
  • I was using Adobe Audition/Cool Edit and moved to Reaper in 2009 ish. I've paid for 2 licenses since 2015 but I was using it for free before that. I'm on the latest version.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    I’m thinking of moving to it because I can’t justify spending £80 per month on Pro Tools Ultimate anymore. 

The Slate Digital Everything bundle pisses me off too. I hate subscribing to software. I want to outright own what I use. 

The setup of Reaper just seems a bit of a minefield at the min. I’ve got the evaluation version but it feels a bit like option paralysis right now. I’m gonna make it work and learn to use it, though. From what I’ve seen, and the tutorials I’ve watched, the feature set looks very cool. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited December 2022
    Nerine said:
    I’m thinking of moving to it because I can’t justify spending £80 per month on Pro Tools Ultimate anymore. 

The Slate Digital Everything bundle pisses me off too. I hate subscribing to software. I want to outright own what I use. 

The setup of Reaper just seems a bit of a minefield at the min. I’ve got the evaluation version but it feels a bit like option paralysis right now. I’m gonna make it work and learn to use it, though. From what I’ve seen, and the tutorials I’ve watched, the feature set looks very cool. 
    It does pretty much the same with way more option for customisation and runs on hardware protools would hate. Only thing I don't like is the way it deals with comps, you have to highlight regions in the same view (lets say 10 takes) instead of playlists that you bump up to the top level in PT and can then minimise visually.

You can click "show active take" in Reaper but not as preferable as playlists.

The free VST plugins from Kotelnikov etc are one cool thing you'll appreciate even if you lose the Massey plugs.