Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). You can only have 5 plugins including instruments what are they? - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

You can only have 5 plugins including instruments what are they?

What's Hot
Oh noes! your DAW of choice has been modified by evil aliens so it can only load 5 plugins, which 5 do you pick? Here's mine:

GGD: Architects
Archetype:Gojira
Fabfilter Pro-Q2
CLA-76
Serum

What would I miss most in that setup? Prob referencing but I could use pro-q2 and solo'ing to acheive a shonky version of metric A/B so had to bump it off the list in favour of serum. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    An amp, a board power supply, a light for my music stand, the powered speaker, and a charger for my ipad
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited December 2022
    Five isn't really enough to cover much more than the basics.

Empirical Labs Arouser (Compression)
    Fabfilter Pro Q (EQ)
    Soundtoys Decapitator (Analogue Saturation)
    Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven (Reverb)
    Valhalla Delay (Delay)

I wouldn't swap any of those out in favour of Serum, but if I had a sixth Serum would be it.
    It is the best plugin synth by miles, IMHO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonic said:
    Soundtoys Decapitator (Analogue Saturation)

Just came to post this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    I only ever use 5 plugins

Xpand 2 for instruments. 
    Protools EQ
    Protools compressor 
    Protools Dverb
    Protools medium delay

That's it, I don't have anything third party installed so can't use it. 

Everything like drums, guitars and bass is tracked real with amps in rooms and I try get a sound I like without any plugins at all. 
    I used to have all the cracked wave plugs and a lot of Massey stuff but generally I think the stock plugs work OK for me. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:

Xpand 2 for instruments. 
    Protools EQ
    Protools compressor 
    Protools Dverb
    Protools medium delay

Everything like drums, guitars and bass is tracked real with amps in rooms and I try get a sound I like without any plugins at all. 
    I used to have all the cracked wave plugs and a lot of Massey stuff but generally I think the stock plugs work OK for me. 
    Are you mixing ITB, or using outboard?
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    edited December 2022
    SD3 
    Pro-Q 3
    Pro-C 2 
    Saturn 2 
    Pro-R

Fabfilter make the best plugins. 
  • Eventide h3000 factory
      neutron
      ozone 
      Dexed 
     & my oberheim one ,I can’t remember it’s name , it might be OB X D 

• If I could only use five, to cover all I need to do I'd go for:

Native Instruments Drum Lab (hybrid acoustic and electric drum kits)
    Native Instruments Scarbee A-200 (epiano instrument)
    Waves CLA Mixdown
    Roomworks (reverb included in Cubase)
    Helix Native

This is assuming I can use eq and compression in the built in channel strips in Cubase

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    My most used are probably:

Pigments (If I'm excluding DAW plugins) - Synth
    Fabfilter L-2 - Limiter
    Soundtoys Echo Boy - Delay
    Softube Drawmer 1972 - Compressor
    Baby Audio Crystalline - Reverb

I'd have a lot more Fabfilter as well, but I only own the one plugin from them.

Interested to hear about what you guys use Decapitator for as I'm struggling to get a sound I'm really happy with and end up falling back on other saturators. I know it's legendary so it's clearly me.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1896
    Superior Drummer
    Helix Native
    Soundtoys Little Plate
    Modartt Pianoteq
    Arturia V collection (ok that’s more than one plug-in)
  • octatonic said:

I forgot about arouser, although I only really use it on vocals at the moment, prob because I get a bit agressive with i and its easy to over-egg it and introduce alot of that weird papery high end if you have lots of arousers kicking about. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Kontakt and Helix Native. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    octatonic said:

I forgot about arouser, although I only really use it on vocals at the moment, prob because I get a bit agressive with i and its easy to over-egg it and introduce alot of that weird papery high end if you have lots of arousers kicking about. 
    You can avoid a lot of that by using less compression and/or going for opto mode.
    It is the same with a Distressor, which is absolutely my favourite hardware compressor.
    It is so versatile.

But yes, EL products are easy to overdo because they sound so good.

Big Freq nearly made the list too.
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    Nerine said:
    SD3 
    Pro-Q 3
    Pro-C 2 
    Saturn 2 
    Pro-MB

Saturn 2 makes my list too.  Still thinking about the others...
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Superior Drummer 3
    EZ Keys
    Scheps Omni Channel (Waves)
    Helix Native
    Valhalla Supermassive
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    octatonic said:
    Danny1969 said:

Xpand 2 for instruments. 
    Protools EQ
    Protools compressor 
    Protools Dverb
    Protools medium delay

Are you mixing ITB, or using outboard?
    I don't do any professional mixing anymore because my hearing just isn't good enough anymore. I do a reference mix with the stock plugs and if it works I send it to a mix engineer in Dunstable who's done my stuff for a few years. So I guess It's not really that important for me to have great plugins. I don't think he uses a great deal either though because until recently he was mixing all our stuff on a 2012 Macbook Pro 

I think I went through a phase where I thought the plugins could fix a lot of problems and some were good for fixing things ... I used to use Drumagog and Slate samples all the time plus loads of Waves CLA and Altiverb but I found the more plugs you use the smaller and more harsh things get. 

I've been working with a drummer /  producer recently who's got some great mic's, preamps and compressors and I prefer the sound of the sources processed with that kit before it hits the converters. The drums I'm getting from him sound great just loaded in the DAW with nothing on them at all. I'm probably imagining it but I think the less digital processing the better. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    Pro Q3
    Slate suite ( I know it is cheating, but it includes KHZ plugins )
    Pluginguru Unify ( takes care of ALL instruments, drums etc }
    All the rest is Reaper native ( Limiter is amazing)
    All done in 4.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    Bod said:
    Nerine said:
    SD3 
    Pro-Q 3
    Pro-C 2 
    Saturn 2 
    Pro-MB

Saturn 2 makes my list too.  Still thinking about the others...
    FF don’t make a bad plugin. All of them are stellar. Technically great, insanely flexible, cleanly programmed, easy to use, sound great, perfect GUI etc. 

I think a lot of people class them as bland or not “colourful” because the GUIs are so simple and don’t look like a console, or a classic SSL or Neve EQ etc. 

Saturn 2 is one of the best saturation plugs there is. It rivals all of the analogue modelled stuff that has a realistic GUI and probably outperforms them in real terms. 

I have the latest versions of 

Pro Q
    Pro C
    Pro L
    Pro MB 
    Timeless
    Pro R 
    Saturn

You don’t really need anything else from a mixing perspective. I’ve got shedloads of Soundtoys, Waves, Slate, Brainworx, Lexicon, Avid, etc etc. 

FF are the ones I wouldn’t give up. In fact I’m using them exclusively so I can get rid of my Slate subscription and I’m gonna move to Reaper to save me £100 per month on PT ultimate and the Slate bundle. 

In fact, I’d go as far to say that there are only a certain number of ways you can process an audio signal. I think you could match pretty much any plug-in chain using just FabFilter stuff. 
    For example, an 1176 into an SSL EQ in the Slate VMR. You could easily recreate that with Pro C and Pro Q if you know what you’re doing. It just doesn’t “look” like you’re using the aforementioned classic pieces. 

The FF stuff is far quicker to use and doesn’t interrupt your workflow as much. 

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 851
    UA Neve 88RS
    UA EMT 140 plate
    Superior Drummer
    FF Saturn 2
    Ozone (or UA BX masterdesk - tricky pick)

I would miss many - inc all the rest of the FF stuff, some Slate stuff, DDMF magic death eye, UA Oxford inflator, soundtoys echoboy and the arturia classic synths etc etc but could live with these 5
  • Fabfilter pro L2
    Tdr Kotelnikov
    Waves H-delay
    Any multiband digital eq
    Relab sonsig rev-A 
  • Lots of fabfilter love...Im a big fan too
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Helix Native
    Whatever it's called - Butch Vig vocal plugin
    Easy Drummer 2
    Something to do with a horn section (I'm exploring this option at the moment)
    The standard stuff that comes with Reaper.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    Guitar Rig 6
    Omnisphere 2
    Kontakt 
    Soundtoys Radiator
    Addictive Drums 2

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited December 2022
    1. Superior Drummer 3
    2. NI Massive X
    3. NI Kontakt
    4. Helix Native - As well as using it as an ampsim, I reckon I could probably get away with Helix Native for most of my effects, not that I do normally.
    5. iZotope Ozone

It's not a competition.
  • Waves CLA 76 compressor
    Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 monitoring simulator
    Celemony Melodyne
    Softube TSAR-1 reverb
    The God Particle
  • EZ drummer 
    EZ mix
  • Ozone
    Nectar 
    Slate Drums
    Helix Native
    Waves Puigtec eq.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    1. Reaverb

I do most stuff outside the box. I have 3 different spring reverb units (2 of which I built myself) but I prefer a plate for vocal.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 306
    edited January 2023
    I’m very inexperienced and can’t get full advantage of all the plugins I own so 5 is actually a lot lol.

BX ssl 4000 E
    Libra (IRs)
    BX townhouse buss compressor
    Logic delay
    GGD drums 
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 855
    Valhalla Room Reverb
    FabFilter L2
    Kontakt
    Addictive Drums
    LABS