Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Help me buy keys / synth - resolved with Roland-AS! - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Help me buy keys / synth - resolved with Roland-AS!

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
edited January 2023 in Other Instruments
I want a new piano / synth / keyboard but I'm well out of the loop. Not sure I've ever really been in the loop tbh. 

Must haves are a good piano sound plus Hammond B3, Wurlitzer and ideally some sort of mellotron. 76+ weighted keys is also important. 88 preferred but probably not strictly necessary if the rest of the features are spot on. 

In "nice to have" territory, I'd also like control over the Hammond's drawbars and modulation. I'd also like some good 80's/Killers sounding synths but that shouldn't take priority over the other bits. 

I've been looking at the Roland Juno DS-88 which seems excellent aside from lack of drawbars, but I could pair with a VK-8M down the line if I really felt it was needed. 

But I thought since I know really very little I'd ask for any other suggestions from the collective forum wisdom? I'd love a Nord Electro but they're stupidly more money and I'm really not there talent-wise just yet!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    You generally can't go wrong with Roland.

Yamaha just updated their workstations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • You generally can't go wrong with Roland.

Yamaha just updated their workstations.
    That was my first instinct. Down the line I kind a fancy a couple of different things - smaller organ like a Crumar for that kinda stuff and something a bit more "piano-y" for you know.. piano. 

Have done more of a google this morning and wondering about the Roland VR730 which can do pretty much the same sounds as the DS88 but has semiweighted/waterfall keys and drawbars, so goes a little more towards the organ thing. Clearly I'd benefit from going and trying them. 

Of course the VR-730 is just a damn great looking thing so naturally it's the shiny thing I'm leaning most towards. But I think I need to try the keys for feel first
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2275
    Yamaha YC73 or 88.

I have the YC73 and its really really excellent.  They released an update that fixed peoples gripes with the organs/rotary and it sounds absolutely fantastic.  It's easy enough to use without having to go menu diving and the sounds are brilliant.

I also have  Roland DS61 and VR09.   The piano's aren't the best in either of the rolands.   The DS61 is a nice worksation but does have an awful lot of menus. 
     The VR09 has decent organs with drawbars, and is a lot simpler to use than the DS. 
     It's like a crapper version of the Yamaha YC series although a lot cheaper, and its perfectly fine for gigs etc.  I've used the VR09 at a bunch of gigs where I'm using keys for a couple of songs and its' been decent enough. For good gigs I'd use the Yam..

I've had a Nord Electro 6 and a Roland FA07 before and tbh wasn't overly impressed with either.  The keybed on the nords are crap compared to the Yamaha and it just feels a lot cheaper to play.  It does sound good tho.

So if you have a smaller budget go for the VR09 or if you want something excellent go for the Yam..
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Buy used, if you can.
    The Nord Electro is the cream of the crop.
    These sorts of synths always involve a compromise in some area and if you are paying retail you will just lose money in the long run.

Would a controller keyboard and plugins for sounds suit?
    You can spend more on the piano action, rather than a bunch of sounds that will sound dated in 3 years.
    Computers are much more capable than the smaller, cheaper processors they put into digital synths.

Otherwise, I'll do you a very good price on the Korg Krome 88 I have here, which is in a hard shell case and would be fine on a plane trip back, should you be coming to the UK for Christmas.
  • Ta both! Sounds like I’m at least headed in the right direction. 

I had thought about a software solution but at this stage I’d like the option for an all-in—one option to use with the band if needed, so counting that out until I know what I need (and don’t need) a bit better after a couple of years’ use. 

@octatonic am watching the classifieds here. There is a good dealer in Dubai with great deals on Roland atm though, so those seem a good option. Sadly no idea when we’ll be home next otherwise I’d be very tempted! 
  • The VR730 is excelent.   Its actually more capable than the DS if you dont need druym patters and sequencing.

It actually has a fully fledged VA synth engine - though you can only do basic editing of presets on the board itself, there is a PC editor where you can go nuts, then save the sounds into the hardware for use stand alone.

I was looking for an organ ish board ot partner my RD2000 a few years ago, and Id take this over theNord Electro actually - but it is preference.

I ended up with a Legend EXP expander modules instead (like the VK you linked to - only way way better lol).  Only thge Mojo and Hammonds come close the the legend.  you could always do somethig like that with another bpard if it doesnt have the drawbnars onboard (as you mention).

You do need to make a choice though.....  Youll never play piano properly on a synth of watnerfall bed, and vica versa.   You need to make the call on your preference if your using a single board.... However bear in mind you can add a seperate controller relatively cheaply later if you want both actions without actually buying another full keybard...You may need  to look at the options there too though, so you know which way to jump.   Hammer action controllers cost more thatn semi but you wont find a waterfall controller (easily at least) only hammer, or synth/semi weighted.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @paulmapp8306 thanks - lots of sense in there! 

I have full weighted at the moment as I grew up on piano, but really want this stuff for organs more than anything at the mo, so I figure semi/waterfall should be a sensible target. 

But I’d like to try some first-hand before I buy anything anyway. 

If I really stick with it I can imagine going a full-weight piano and a Mojo above for organs. But that’s years away..!
  • Went for a demo session at the weekend and took my piano-playing bandmate along. She's bought a DS88 which is going to be absolutely perfect for her. 

I couldn't try one in the shop but having tried a couple of things with waterfall keys I've gone for the VR730 figuring it's perfect for my needs as I'm focussed more on organs and pads than piano specifically. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Ok, so I got a VR-730 and it's great. I need a better stand that doesn't get in the way of my knees and Thomann have put one in the post.

The organ stuff is exactly what I was hoping for, and I like that a lot of the controls work quite a lot like guitar pedals. I can 100% see me moving long-term to a more "piano" like solution (88 keys, weighted, etc) with a more-focussed organ thing sitting top, but right now this is spot on. 

Now to get practicing!