Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Slide strings gauges - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Slide strings gauges

What's Hot
mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 472
edited December 2022 in Technique
Hi, I'm no expert at slide but been doing more of it recently. Currently using a tele with 11 top strings, tuned to open A, 9.5" radius. I picked A to get more tension in the strings. However, I do find the top strings still allow the slide to hit the fret board when hammering on/off. Also, difficult to get the same volume when playing top two strings (competed to 3rd 4th).

So, is this just a question of more practice/refinement or should I go up a gauge, to say 12 top? Slide is brass, not very heavy. 

Any thoughts? 

Cheers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    I would stick on heavier strings and see how you go,  I played loads of slide a few years back and found that the knocking against the frets etc was technique rather than thickness

me wife agrees
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I play open A.,13, 15, 22 plain, 30, 42, 54. I have even gone to 15, 17 on the top two strings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    How about raising the saddles?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Saddles is def worth a try. I'll do that tomorrow!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    You don't need heavier strings, in so far that it's perfectly achievable to play clean slide on 11s (or lighter) and a normal action with enough practice. But if you whack heavier strings on and raise the action a bit you negate the need to do some of said practice (not all of it though because if you're properly cack handed about it then not even heavy strings and a high action are going to save you).

Personally, I persevered to the point where I can play cleanly on a normally set up guitar with 10s but that's because any time I set a guitar up just for slide I always find myself then wishing I could use it for everything else too. 
  • Thanks - i put saddles up and that's a big improvement
  • I’ve only ever tried slide in standard tuning with 10’s but tried to get my technique right, as it’s only been for the occasional solo. 
  • The classic slide tunings are open G and open D, with some strings tuned down from standard, so a lot of players go for heavier gauge strings. Without a doubt, a bit more string tension helps and a little  bit more height on the action can also be useful. If you are using 11's, try replacing the top with a 13 and see how you get on. It's all very personal, and slide isn't necessarily as easy at it looks and requires a lot of technique development to get a good clear sound, free from buzzes and rattles. I can play slide on most guitars without tinkering with them apart from the tuning, but to be honest, I'm happier with a guitar where I've got the string gauges and action sorted out for slide, then I can be a bit more relaxed with my technique rather than having to concentrate on clunking the frets all the time.
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    I have used 10s & 11s on Blade Strat with no problems . I use regular tuning and light metal slide . Hope this helps.