Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Amp hum just developed - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Amp hum just developed

What's Hot
Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
Hi folks, 

Just recently taken delivery of a rather lovely 633 Dragonfly RT courtesy of a forum member.  Amp is splendid and,  until today,  has been whisper quiet.  Today however it has suddenly developed a loud hum. If nothing is plugged in the hum is there but much quieter than if an instrument cable is plugged in. If guitar on other end then hum is quite pronounced (compared to absolute silence a day ago) and with cable but no instrument it's extremely loud and increases with volume/power/tone increases and cycles with the tremolo speed and depth accordingly. 

I've tried various sockets in the house,  different cables,  and with things like washing machine/fridge/freezer on and off but makes no difference so thinking it's something in the amp rather than simply a ground hum etc. 

Any good amp techs in Hampshire area you can recommend given this is unlikely within my very limited comfort zone to experiment etc...

Thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Check that the input jack nut is tight first - that sounds like a ground connection problem at the jack, and if it's grounded via the panel then a loose connection will make it hum.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Thanks @ICBM , will take a look. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1486
    Failing that, perhaps contact Cliff @ 633 amps - he may be willing to help out despite it being a secondhand amp?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cheers both,  yes I may well do @Kalimna if only for a steer in right direction...

Amp still seems absolutely fine when playing,  just seems odd it has developed this hum all of a sudden so just want to make sure I'm not doing any damage etc. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Contact Cliff, he is a really nice chap and I am sure will be able to help you out, even if you are not the original owner.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cheers folks,  will drop him a line to see if anything I need to be particularly mindful of and then probably see if a local tech can address any issues.  
  • Reseat all the valves - shipping can be unkind to them.

edited July 2023
    Update post resurrection - this issue was intermittent so I think more a house-wiring issue with a dimmer switch... tightened all screws, input jacks and reseated valves and it returned to being excellently lovely :)