Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mac audio recording alternatives to Garageband? - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mac audio recording alternatives to Garageband?

What's Hot
... but also cheaper than Logic Pro!?! I'm not too flush.

Are there any?

Most of my recording is just one guitar over a backing track, although I may one day get into knocking whole multi track songs again.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Reaper, effectively free. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Reaper…. Great on Mac.  I paid for it in the end, but totally usable till you decide to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Thanks peeps, I'll check out Reaper.
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 322
    My solution to the same problem, admittedly about five years ago, was to buy an unused copy of Logic 9, because it is very like GarageBand to operate and isn’t too steep a learning curve.
    Look on eBay - I think I paid about £65, but they should be still cheaper now.
  • I use Reaper, (albeit badly).
  • What is the problem with Garageband?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    What is the problem with Garageband?
    The latest version that I can run doesn't work with Amplitube 5
  • I do more in Reaper daily than Logic and Garageband.  I like it for batch stuff and general cutting up editing too.   It is ideal because it is primarily live or live studio recordings I am working on.  

Reaper is not lacking in features and any investment in learning its depths will pay off.

For virtual instruments and midi, I’ll go back to the Apple DAWs.  I do move stuff between too.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Tracktion's Waveform (Free or $149 paid for) </predictable>

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Reaper for me too. I use Macs so I got GarageBand free but it annoyed the tits off me - I could never seem to get it to do what I wanted, plus it seemed to me that the MIDI side of it has been deliberately hobbled.

Reaper is huge VFM. Like any software the learning curve can be steep to start with, but I’ve done more and better recordings with it than with any other system I’ve used.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 225
    Keefy said:
    Reaper for me too. I use Macs so I got GarageBand free but it annoyed the tits off me - I could never seem to get it to do what I wanted, plus it seemed to me that the MIDI side of it has been deliberately hobbled.

I discovered the hobbled MIDI after I bought a plugin which had multiple instruments within 'a player', and it used MIDI to communicate with the DAW. If I remember correctly, the problem was that Garageband only had one channel usable, and thus all my instruments were getting the same mix volume and panning.

So reluctantly I bought Logic which solved the issue. However for a lot of my use it's too feature laden, and I now find myself using Garageband at the beginning of projects and switching to Logic for mixing.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Reaper. It’s ace. Loads of great tutorials on Youtube.