Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). FS - Maybach Lester '59, Schecter Jack Fowler, Reverend Dirtbike, Harley Benton TE-20HH - Guitars £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

FS - Maybach Lester '59, Schecter Jack Fowler, Reverend Dirtbike, Harley Benton TE-20HH

What's Hot
robertyroberty Frets: 10231
edited September 2023 in Guitars £
Been putting this off for a while but need to slim the collection down because it's getting silly

I'll reserve a few spots on the thread and post each guitar in its own post

I have lots of boxes so I can post. Payment by PPG or bank transfer. Can also meet in a sensible radius from Bristol, or you could come and get it.

Prices are exclusive of postage. I will post for £30. Collection or meetup is also welcome

Currently for sale:

=========================================================

YAMAHA SOLD

First up this Yamaha Revstar 720BX. I got a lot of use out of this and it was a favourite. I just got a birth year Yamaha SG1000 and they are very similar, so one has to go

Quality-wise I would put this on par with Gibson USA. It is fairly heavy and has a fat round profile neck (like a Gibson!). When I got it the frets were a bit sharp so I took it to Phil Jones who dressed them and levelled them as well, so it's had the full works. It plays perfectly up and down the neck now with nice low action and no choking or buzzing. About as good as it gets setup-wise

There are no tuning issues with the Bigsby, it is rock solid. It has locking tuners. The inlays are MOP and quite fetching IRL

The pickups are excellent, sitting somewhere between vintage and modern. Articulate enough for cleans and heft enough to work with gain and effects. It has the push/pull bass cut which is good for tightening things up with gain or just if you want a more Fendery sort of clean sound

There is a tiny dink on the surface near the binding and some buckle rash that I will try to photograph in better light

Currently in D standard with coated 11s. Comes with a quality Yamaha gig bag

I'd like £550 for this

Expand for more pics:

Tried to photograph the buckle rash

There's a little dink by the binding

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited April 2023

PRS NOW SOLD

Next up is this PRS S2 Custom 24 30th Anniversary that I bought recently from @Cookiemonster

I wanted a 24 fret guitar because I've been learning some solos that use 24 frets. I impulse bought a Kramer last week which has a flatter radius so it's more suited for shreddy solos. In all honesty this is too much guitar for me noodling around at home through headphones anyway

This has got a few scuffs and scratches but nothing nasty, just enough to not be paranoid about making any new ones. The finish that PRS use is really soft feeling which adds to how comfortable the whole thing feels to play

The 30th Anniversary ones have two birds on the 12th which I like because normally the 12th PRS fret confuses me

It's got medium output pickups and comes with the PRS gig bag

Currently set up in E standard with coated 10s

I'll start this one at £980

Expand for more pics:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023

SOLD - REVEREND DOUBLE AGENT OG

This is a cool mashup of Gibson and Fender styles, with the Gibson bridge and pickups, in a Gretsch orange. The finish is translucent so you can see the grain. It is lovely to look at up close

It is acoustically very warm but still with a good Fender snap. Korina body and a slim roasted maple neck with 12" radius and jumbo frets. It is a modern feeling guitar

The P90 and humbucker are both excellent. Joe Naylor designs really good pickups. These ones are voiced quite fat which means you get lots of usable adjustment range with the treble roll-off control. The P90 gets into Strat territory and the humbucker can approach single coil sounds too

Being a Reverend this came with a perfect setup and it is still that way now

I can't get used to the slimness of the neck unfortunately! I really wanted to be able to get on with it and I did give it a good try

I would like £550 for this one. It didn't come with a case but I can include a basic gig bag

PRICE DROP £500 + 30 post

Expand for more pics:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023

Harley Benton TE-20HH SBK HH Tele

Obscenely decent for the money. It feels really nice to play. I've just acquired another HH HB and decided that this new one will be my pickup mule instead.

Part of the tortoiseshell layer has lifted on the corner of the scratchplate. It came like this but I wasn't complaining for the cost

• Standard series
    • Basswood body
    • Bolt-on maple neck
    • Roseacer fretboard
    • DOT fretboard inlays
    • Neck profile: modern C
    • Scale: 648 mm
    • Fretboard radius: 305 mm
    • Nut width: 42 mm
    • 22 Frets
    • Pickups: 2 humbuckers
    • 1 x Volume and 1 x tone control
    • 3-Way switch
    • DLX TE bridge
    • Double-action truss rod
    • DLX DieCast machine heads
    • Black hardware
    • Strings: .010 "- .046"
    • Colour: Matt Black
    I think it's hardly worth posting but if anyone want to come and collect it, for £55 it is yours

Some of the photos are a bit blurry, I was in a rush. I can take some again if there's anything you want to see

Expand for pics:

SOLD - Harley Benton DC Junior

Next up the proverbial upgraded Harley Benton

This is a DC Junior Fat. The profile is very similar to my Gibson USA SC Special, but a little more comfortable imo with slightly less shoulder

The "upgrades" are:
    • New tortoiseshell pickguard (which is a bit scratched, it came like that)
    • Lighting style one-piece bridge (with grub screws)
    • CTS pots, switchcraft jack, orange drop capacitor
    • Bare Knuckle War Pig 90 pickup
    • Oil City dogear pickup shim
    I will include the original pickguard, hardware, pickup and harness in the sale

Again the setup is good on this. I am very fussy about guitar setup

I got the Bare Knuckle off eBay and it arrived demagnetised. I sent it back to Bare Knuckle and they fitted new magnets, as well as repotting it and cleaning it up. So the pickup is pretty much like new

Given the value of the pickup I would like £200 for this. If it doesn't sell I will pop an Alegree in and sell the pickup and guitar separately

Expand for more pics:

I surprised myself at how tidy my soldering is when I checked again! This is to show that the work is to a good standard:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023

SOLD -- PRS SE Soapbar SE

This is black but it is kind of a translucent grey-black in bright light and you can see the grain

Super comfortable neck, good weight, great pickups, everything you hear about how good PRS SE guitars are is true

I have a Gibson USA Special so I don't know why I got this. They are practically the same

This one has a few dinks in it but nothing nasty that stands out. I'll try to get some photos in better light

£350 for this one

I will post it to you for £330

PRICE DROP £300 posted

Expand for more pics:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023

Sold KRAMER SM-1

This thing is ridiculously spec'd. Bought it on a whim during a phase where I was learning Megadeth solos. That was fun but I must be honest about the extent of my shredding ambitions :-)

It's a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and 2x SD Cool Rails. I believe toggle switch changes the bridge pickup from series to parallel, both coils are equally loud in a tap test. Also has a genuine Floyd Rose

It's a neck-thru construction, all mahogany with a bound ebony fretboard.  Fret access is wide open all the way up to the 24th, you can really stretch out up there

The neck is a super comfortable asymmetrical carve, I'd say slightly slimmer than a slim SG profile, bigger than a normal shredder neck

Absolute beast of a guitar and I don't know how they make them for the price

There's no case for this but I can double box. Collection or meet-up is preferred

£550 + post

Expand for more pics:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OK. Liking that reverend... outright sale or p/x possible?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited May 2023

SOLD -- PRS S2 Starla

I've had a few PRS S2s now and they stand toe-to-toe with the best Gibsons I've played. The wood they use is so nice and they are a joy to play

This one is understated in black. It might appeal to the PRS-curious. The pickups are vintage output, brighter than a PAF but more PAF than toaster. Tuning is rock solid with the Bigsby. The neck is fairly full but super comfortable

Selling this one because I have an S2 Standard and I am using the fulcrum trem quite a lot at the moment. I prefer the neck of the Starla and the way it looks but I am being practical

I've given it a polish and a dust and a fresh set of 10s in E standard

It comes in a non-original hardcase

£750 + post

Expand for more pics:

edited September 2023

Schecter Jack Fowler

Back up for sale. I've put it back to stock because it was probably a bit confusing. The extra pickguard is included FOC

I love this guitar but I've just put together a partscaster strat which is more personalised and does pretty much the same job

It is really snappy, the fretwork, fit and finish are top notch. All premium appointments:
    • Stainless steel jumbo frets levelled and polished to perfection
    • Schecter USA pickups. Pasadena and Pasadena Plus (of the PAF/JB ilk)
    • Roasted maple neck
    • Ebony fingerboard
    • Locking tuners
    The frets and fingerboard are probably the smoothest I've played. So slinky

There is one little dink in the headstock, it looks worse in the photo than it does IRL

PRICE DROP £700 + post

Expand for more pics:

Little white headstock dink:

Factory bits + a custom white scratchplate if you fancy a costume change:

edited August 2023

Reverend Reeves Gabrels Dirtbike

I used this as a backup guitar for my band. I've just bought a similar Reverend with two pickups so this one is on the block, sadly

It is a fun guitar, it's like a Kramer Baretta but set neck and Gibson scale. It's in Venetian Gold and it is gold all over

Wilkinson two point trem, ebony fingerboard, the neck reminds me of a 1964 Gibson profile, slim-ish but with plenty of shoulder. A fender player would probably call it fat. I really like this neck, one of my favourites

Reeves Gabrels signature pickup, in the JB ballpark. He's been using these pickups on tour with The Cure recently

There is one scar in the back, not sure how it got there but it's there. Otherwise vert clean condition

£650 + 30 post

Price drop £590 + 30 post

Expand for more pics:

ON HOLD Reverend Reeves Gabrels Spacehawk

Didn't picture myself doing this but here we are. I am using ceramic humbuckers in my band now, any sort of A5 pickup becomes mushy and undefined under the ridiculous amounts of gain I am using. As such this has been stored in its case unplayed for over a year

A few interesting things about this guitar:
    • It was designed in conjunction Reeves Gabrels specifically for use in The Cure
    • It is a sealed semi hollow like a Lucille, and is 335 sized despite looking smaller in photos. You get the semi acoustic sound but it is much more resistant to feedback
    • The switch on the bottom horn is a kill switch on a two-way toggle
    • The Bigsby B50 is positioned specifically to give usable behind-the-bridge noises. Reeves Gabrels drilled multiple holes in a 335 to find the distance he prefers
    • The tone control is on a push/pull for out-of-phase middle position
    All in all a really flexible creative tool

Here he is on their most recent tour:

There's some light play wear on the scratch plate but otherwise visually very clean

Comes with a Reverend hard case which retails for £250 (I know..!)

I would like £850 + post for the guitar and case

Expand for pics:

edited August 2023

D'Angelico Excel DC

In black with hard case. Featuring the divisive headstock ;-) (which I happen to like)

Didn't think I'd sell this but my impulses got the better of me and I accidentally bought a Heritage H-535 and will need recoup the cost. The Heritage has a fatter neck basically, there's not much in it other than that. Same pickups. This is an excellent guitar

These are really high spec. The three piece maple neck is slim but with a nice shoulder so it is comfortable, and very stable. The wide radius works with the slim profile so the overall playing experience is really good. The Jescar frets are levelled and polished to perfection, silky smooth

It has Seymour Duncan '59s which in my opinion work really well in this style of guitar. It does all the shades of jazz and blues. There are push/pulls which I think are wired for series/parallel, either way they are usable sounds. Acoustically it is lively, feels like nice dry timber has been used throughout. I was shocked when I took it out and strummed it for the first time (in a good way). It is better than the Gibson 335 I used to own

I've played this one quite a lot so there is some wear on the gold parts, One of the bridge saddles was rocking when I got it which made a noise, so D'Angelico sent me a new bridge under warranty. The original bridge is in the case, also a set of gold straplocks which I have stowed away in favour of these oversized Gotoh ones

I'll start this one at £820 + 30 post

Expand for pics:

SOLD Charvel Joe Duplantier Signature

This is great but it is not getting any play time

It looks quite 1970s retro but has a modern feel with Charvel's asymmetrical neck profile and jumbo frets. The neck is reinforced with carbon rods so it is super stable despite being a slim and made of mahogany. It has an open pore feel which is really nice in the hand. The ebony fretboard and jumbo frets are super smooth

Pickups are DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF in the neck and Joe Duplantier signature in the bridge, which is like a 36th Anniversary but with more bass. It is still very much a PAF to my ears

The nut was a bit of a disaster when it came from the shop but I had a local tech sort it and now it stays perfectly in tune

I've read complaints online that some of these are heavy but this is a featherweight at 7lbs 1oz. Nice and resonant too. I would say this is a really good example

I think these might be collectible one day due to the Joe Duplantier connection and premium pickups, but guitars are for playing and it is not being played

£560 + 30 post

Expand for more pics:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023

SOLD PRS S2 McCarty 592 Singlecut

Got this earlier in the year and just never played it really. Was worried about dinging it, I have so many Les Paul style guitars that I have already dinged

It's as good as you'd expect a Maryland-made PRS to be. Super resonant and extremely comfortable to play. Weighs a smidge under 8lbs. Vintage voiced pickups. The neck carve is pattern vintage which for me is the goldilocks baseball bat. PRS are fussy about their necks

It has really characterful figuring on the top and a lovely grain on the back too. Nice mix of modern and traditional looks with the McCarty Sunburst finish

Comes with the gig bag and factory papers

£1200 for this + post, will entertain near offers

Thanks for looking

Expand for more pics:

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 306
    PM'd re PRS
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    edited November 2022
    Catthan said:
    PM'd re PRS
    The PRS is fantastic I am very tempted to buy it back. You won’t regret it 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023

SOLD - Yamaha Revstar RSS20 - Standard Series v2

Specifically, this one

My curiosity got the better of me and I snapped it up. Sadly the neck is not for me which I could have found out in a few minutes by visiting a shop, but here we are :-)

It has a striking acoustic volume, very strong and clear. The clever chambering and carbon reinforcement are clearly doing their jobs. The stainless steel frets are highly polished and a joy to bend on. The pickups are ace and the focus switch is genuinely useful for saturating an already dirty amp

I think they are a bargain at the new price, so £400 + postage is a no brainer really

Comes with gig bag and factory things, and the protective film is still on the back control plate

Oh, and it is in the correct colour for a guitar :-)

Expand for pics:

• Some lovely stuff here @roberty
    Some lovely stuff here @roberty
    Cheers @lovestrat74. I'm a bit like the old lady who lived in a shoe at the moment. But instead of living in a shoe I live in a house, and instead of having too many children I have too many guitars

Added some photos of the Revstar to show the wear
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023

Maybach Lester '59 Midnight Sunset

I know, I waited ages for this to arrive. Bought new from Project Music last year

I went a bit silly and bought a Heritage and now I need to balance the books. The Maybach is prettier! It has a super 3D flame. Maybach featured this actual guitar on some social media posts
    • Lovely bit of rosewood with proper MOP inlays
    • Big fat neck
    • "Just look at the flame on that!"
    • 3.8kg or 8lbs 6oz
    • Amber Spirit of '59 A4 PAFs
    • Attractive case
    • COA
    The bridge pickup is vintage sounding but fat enough to work well with distortion. Proper golidlocks, I'm really impressed with it

I've had lots of Gibsons both USA and Custom Shop and quality-wise I would say this has more in common with the latter ;-) I don't think I will ever buy Gibson again

The pickup rings have split on this. They works as they are but I've ordered some replacements. The guitar is dinged up at the factory and the pickup covers are lightly aged so they don't look miles out of place as they are

£1600 + post

• roberty said:
    roberty said:
    Some lovely stuff here @roberty
    Cheers @lovestrat74. I'm a bit like the old lady who lived in a shoe at the moment. But instead of living in a shoe I live in a house, and instead of having too many children I have too many guitars
    Also I am a man

The Revstar and Reverend are now on eBay. Sensible offers considered ;-)
    I really shouldn't but... PM me a price for the HB without the BK pup and with the Alegree instead.  :o
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    roberty said:
    I got the Bare Knuckle off eBay and it arrived demagnetised. I sent it back to Bare Knuckle and they fitted new magnets, as well as repotting it and cleaning it up. So the pickup is pretty much like new
    Are you sure that they did not simply put the magnets back into the correct orientation relationship?

P90s should have their magnets arranged with the same pole facing the polepiece screws. Getting this wrong means that the magnets more or less cancel each other's field, giving the illusion of being degaussed. (Ask me how I know this.) 

'Pig 90 is a high output beast. 
    Be seeing you.
    roberty said:
    Are you sure that they did not simply put the magnets back into the correct orientation relationship?

P90s should have their magnets arranged with the same pole facing the polepiece screws. Getting this wrong means that the magnets more or less cancel each other's field, giving the illusion of being degaussed. (Ask me how I know this.) 

'Pig 90 is a high output beast. 
    Maybe it was the orientation. I seem to recall they called me and said the magnets were degaussed but could be my mind playing tricks
    @Funkfingers I found the Pig 90 a bit tame to be honest! I had high hopes lol. Maybe I'll give it another razz 
    Yamaha Revstar sold
  • Pm’d
    Bump, need to thin the herd again some

I will be adding a PRS S2 Starla in black soon with a Bigsby B50, I just need to take some photos. Let me know if interested
    Added the PRS S2 Starla here

Bump for some mid-price beauties
    edited May 2023
    Bump, now on evilBay

New photos

Sensible offers
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    @roberty some nice guitars there. What did you buy to replace the sold ones ? 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

@roberty some nice guitars there. What did you buy to replace the sold ones ? 
    Thanks. I settled on a PRS S2 Standard 22 and that's the one I'm playing mostly with my band. I bought a birth year Yamaha SG at the end of last year too so I sold the Revstar. I just want to slim the collection down though really and these ones aren't being played. Want to focus on making music more and less on shiny things
    Bump
  • DdwagstaffDdwagstaff Frets: 9
    PM'd you