Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). M1 Mac Mini. Good time to buy? - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

M1 Mac Mini. Good time to buy?

My Late 2012 is still going strong but inability to update OS starting to cause issues so thinking it’s time to buy an M1. Internet rumours of M2 minis seem to say it’s a bad time but you could always say that about computers?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Macrumors has a good guide to all Apple products to conclude if it good to buy now or wait, based on how long it’s been made, what is likely to be coming up etc.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Definitely sticking with Apple? I've just got a Morefine S600 mini-PC with an i7-1260P, 32GB RAM and 2 x NVMe drives. Cost about £550 all-in, and it outperforms the M1 Macs in almost all benchmarks (not that I care about benchmarking, but it's a hell of a snappy machine).
    <space for hire>
  • Definitely sticking with Apple? 
    I'm a Logic user so 'fraid so
  • Macrumors has a good guide to all Apple products to conclude if it good to buy now or wait, based on how long it’s been made, what is likely to be coming up etc.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini
    Macrumors says no buy
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 210
    The current M1 Mac mini is a 2 year old box. I’m waiting for it’s next update which should be along sometime soon. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    On one hand it's quite long in the tooth. On the other the smart money says no new Macs until March so it depends if you want to wait.
  •  I monquixote said:
    On one hand it's quite long in the tooth. On the other the smart money says no new Macs until March so it depends if you want to wait.

Yup, and when they do come, how much will they cost for a base model? 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited November 2022
    I need a new iMac (same issues with updating OS), torn between getting an M1 and waiting fir an updated one.
  • I’ve been looking at the Mac mini this weekend as there’s a tiny discount for Black Friday, 80 quid off. If there a new one coming after the new year though I might just hold off, I just want a small box to replace my iMac for household and iTunes use.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
     I monquixote said:

Yup, and when they do come, how much will they cost for a base model? 

If it's anything like the Macbook Air the old one stayed the same price and the new one went up £200 so you can probably expect an M2 Mini to be the same story.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 225
    I need a new iMac (same issues with updating OS), torn between getting an M1 and waiting fir an updated one.

I'm wondering whether they're ever going to release an 'M' chip 27" iMac?
  • Habanero said:

That would tempt me.. using an older 27” for now.  Killed two macbooks over same time owning it.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited November 2022
    Habanero said:

That would tempt me.. using an older 27” for now.  Killed two macbooks over same time owning it.
    Attempting to accidentally introduce some liquid cooling?  
    That's the only thing that has ever caused my 2012 i7 MBP to glitch & even that was fixable.
  • Anyone who is selling a M1 Mac mini with 16gb ram give me a shout :)
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 225
    Habanero said:

Yes same here, though mine is a 2019 model and thus should have a few years support yet. However when the time comes I wouldn't want a smaller screen, and the Studio plus Display option is a huge price jump.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    How long will you wait for the M3 version?...you can spend your life waiting...if a 2012 is doing you fine than an M1 will be a lot better, I did that exact upgrade, ...the M2 will undoubtedly come with teething problems and 6 months of updates and troubleshooting, so that puts you 12 months away at least...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview