Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Semi Open Back Headphones - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Semi Open Back Headphones

Hi guys

Classic problem time

1) I hate closed back headphones. They make me feel seasick / anxious / nauseous. This may sound weird to some of you but I promise you it's a thing (I'm not the only one!) 

2) I have open backed headphones (Beyer DT 990, if you must know). I really, really like them but... when playing guitar at headphone practice volume the bleed through of the pick hitting the strings is quite annoying and makes listening to the actual amplified guitar tone quite tricky. I'm not willing to risk my hearing cranking the volume to overcome it. 

... you see where this is going. Are semi open backed (the Beyerdynamic DT 880 look like a decent start...) a true halfway house? More isolation but without the negative affect? Anyone else out there who doesn't like closed back care to chime in? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Not sure if this is exactly what you want but Beyerdynamic 'Custom Studio' model has a switch on the back which opens a kind of vent which changes the sound and makes them more or less open or closed. I have a pair, they are pretty good all round headphones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m not able to A/B but I have both 880s and 990s and don’t remember there being any noticeable difference in bleed. 

The sound of the 990s is more pleasing IMO. In theory the 880s are flatter but they still have that Beyer forward treble and noticeably less low end than the 990s.

Have you tried 770s? They have the same pads as the 880s/990s. They’re very comfortable, they are closed back but don’t feel as claustrophobic as some pairs that sit on top of your ear with less soft pads.

Another option could be in ears, if you can tolerate those 
  • Unfortunately the 770 were what first made me aware of my problems with closed back!

In-ears are OK and I wear them while commuting but I'd rather have cans for at home. 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1175
    edited November 2022
    I have 880s here you can try when you come round. :)