Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). HX Effects Split A/B confusion.. Any Helix experts here? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

HX Effects Split A/B confusion.. Any Helix experts here?

I'm trying to set up an footswitch triggered A/ B split where the B path goes to my overdrive pedal via fx send/return then back in to a HX noise gate and then rejoins the A path. I've got the split point assigned to a footswitch and it routed to B100 so that the A path is (I think) muted until the B path rejoins it.
The problem I have is I seem to be getting bleed through from the A path when switched to the B path, e.g. If I stick an FX pedal on the A path immediately after the A/B split I can hear that fx when switched to the B path. 
Am I just not understanding how the split and footswitch routing works or is this an issue with the HX firmware?
I hope this makes sense (?)
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1525
    edited November 2022
    I can't explain what you're seeing (my guess is the A/B is not configured as you think) but assuming your A path has no blocks on it then you seem to me to be using an overly complicated way of doing this. 

Is there any reason why you can't remove the A/B split altogether and just assign a footswitch to turn the FX send/receive and noise gate blocks on and off together?  As long as the "dry thru" parameter on the FX send/receive block is at 0 then as far as I can see that will do exactly what you want far more simply.  When they're both on the signal will go via your external pedal and the gate will be active; when they're both off the signal will bypass the external pedal and the gate will be inactive. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    There are blocks on path A before the split and after the join. I'm not sure if you can map a footswitch to more than one block but I'll certainly give it a try. It does seem weird though that the split doesn't appear to completely isolate the path you are switching from, I would have thought this was the whole point of having an A/B split.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • I've only used it to avoid running effects into each other - you might want two different delays or delay/reverb mixes but don't want one acting on the others output.

Could you add a gain block to the A path just before the rejoin? Set it to minus infinity/mute if it is supported and switch it with the other blocks? I'm not saying that is how it should be but it might get you where you want to end up.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1525
    edited November 2022

equalsql said:
    There are blocks on path A before the split and after the join. I'm not sure if you can map a footswitch to more than one block but I'll certainly give it a try. It does seem weird though that the split doesn't appear to completely isolate the path you are switching from, I would have thought this was the whole point of having an A/B split.
    You can assign multiple blocks to a single foot switch.

I'm clearly not following the topology of the preset here because blocks before the split and after the join are irrelevant to the disposition of the signal between the split and the join.  My interpretation was you had an A/B split with one side going to a FX send/return and a noise gate then the join and the other side going straight to the join with no intermediate blocks.  If so you don't need the split/join at all; just put the send/return and gate blocks on the same foot switch.   Even if there are intermediate blocks on the non FX send/return side of the A/B you still don't need the A/B split if there are 8 or fewer blocks in total on both sides of the A/B.  Just put all the blocks in a line and use a single foot switch to simultaneously switch the notional A side blocks on and notional B side blocks off or vice versa.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • I seem to remember the split blocks on helix didn't operate the way I expected them to.

You might need to change the split type.