Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fuck you neural dsp - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fuck you neural dsp

What's Hot
I didn't even want archetype petrucci but 50% off tempted me enough ( mostly for the pitch shifter)
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    How do these compare to the competition? I've got the usual bunch, Bias Amp and FX, Ampitube, Helix Native, S-Gear etc. They're all good in there own ways but to my ears they still sound a touch synthetic. Have Neural cracked the 'special-sauce' with their plugins?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsql said:
    How do these compare to the competition? I've got the usual bunch, Bias Amp and FX, Ampitube, Helix Native, S-Gear etc. They're all good in there own ways but to my ears they still sound a touch synthetic. Have Neural cracked the 'special-sauce' with their plugins?

I've used all those too, have the Corey Wong Neural DSP and just trialed the Tone King. IMO the secret sauce which will improve *any* of those, assuming you are not already doing so, is to use decent cab IRs in place of the CAB sims provided. Still not quite 'amp in the room' quality/feel, but a huge improvement nonetheless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bias sucks balls, helix native is pretty decent but I find need a fair bit of tweaking / dialling in. I do like amplitude 5 but I think neural have really nailed doing specific sounds really well and making it hard to dial in bad tones. They also are much more focussed at modern metal tones thank most of the other brands.
  • How do these sound compared to the Quad cortex? Do the sound the same, like Native and a Stomp? 
  • Dunno bur I was wondering why all the presets sound so phasey until i realised that almost all of them have the doubler on....doh
  • Dunno bur I was wondering why all the presets sound so phasey until i realised that almost all of them have the doubler on....doh
    Yeah, it's a bit unsettling on headphones with a lot of the presets. They sound better without the doubler to me.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I've got a bunch of them and Helix Native and a hardware Helix.

They are ok, just different to Native. My main complaint with the Neural stuff is that it's kind of over-done. The drive / saturation / bombastic nature of the stuff is excessive.

Sounds amazing for playing alone for fun, and really quite bad for recording without massive tweaking.

As a comparison the Helix "Waters from Hell" preset sounds quite dull and lifeless when playing alone. But in a mix, and with the guitar properly double tracked * it sounds amazing. Jeff Waters designed that patch and said it was something he records with a lot.

It's almost like that patch was designed by a pro for a pro and not designed by the marketing dept to appeal to bedroom players.

The other issue is that if you buy all the Neural stuff it costs way more than Native or other wide ranging software.

Most of the time I use Native or my physical Helix - now that the cabs have been updated I'm not really using separate IRs anymore. The recent update is a massive improvement.

* = actually recording it twice. Not the entirely different cut and paste routine that so many people think is double tracking these days. It isn't. It's the tiny differences in takes that makes it huge. Cut and paste just makes it louder. Cut & Paste & a little bit of time delay just gives it all a uniformly shit out of time feel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve found the Neural stuff excellent for recording personally. But it is expensive. I have Native but I don’t like the GUI so I don’t use it as often as I would if it wasn’t all sliders. By the same token I wish neural would let you access everything you own within one window 
  • I havent really tried out the new cabs in 3.5 but native's original cabs basically dont compete with anything..to the point id say from a VST eprspective its unusable without third party IRs.