Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Stripped down low end dirty Silvertone/Danelectro/Supro/Valco style DIY amp head - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Stripped down low end dirty Silvertone/Danelectro/Supro/Valco style DIY amp head

What's Hot
stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 147
edited July 2023 in Making & Modding
I want to build something and I want to build something fun. Im looking into a small amp head similar to the sounds of the old cheap amps of the 60's. 

Also, I was wondering if anyone had a simple design or schematic I could follow as a starting point.

I have been in touch with robinwood amps who has offered to build me something to the specs I require but I want to give it a go myself.

Starting with a single channel, single ended design, I was wondering if anyone could chime in and offer any advice.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Hi, was just looking through my bookmarked threads and saw nobody had responded on this one. Did you get anywhere with it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hi, was just looking through my bookmarked threads and saw nobody had responded on this one. Did you get anywhere with it?
    Besides a load of 2nd hand research, anecdotes, obsolete and abandoned forum posts and a few DIY projects from yesteryear I stumbled across on YouTube, not really.

I ended up buying an audio kitchen big trees to see how close I could get to the sound I was lusting for. It made me realise how easy it would be to build a small 2 watt amp inside a large pedal enclosure.

I actually haven't given it any thought for a few months though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Im still thinking about this.

I know there's a few places that offer kits for vintage sounding american amps but I think I want to go the route of starting from scratch...maybe.

Has anyone here built their own amp in a similar vein to what im talking about?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    Not sure if its similar to what you want but the Ampmaker WF55 is pretty good, I made one ages ago and it was pretty straightforward…sounds good too

https://www.ampmaker.com/shop/wf-55/
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• paulnb57 said:
    Not sure if its similar to what you want but the Ampmaker WF55 is pretty good, I made one ages ago and it was pretty straightforward…sounds good too

Thanks, I have been looking at the kit before, ultimately I ended up with a Panama Conqueror head recently, it's a modified 5F1 circuit with a tone knob.

Did you ever make anything else?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    When I built a couple of amps I used the plans from ax84.com but that now seems to be defunct although all the content is archived. They had modular designs that you could mix and match and modify to suit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    paulnb57 said:

Thanks, I have been looking at the kit before, ultimately I ended up with a Panama Conqueror head recently, it's a modified 5F1 circuit with a tone knob.

Did you ever make anything else?
    I didnt make another, Im utterly clueless regarding how they work etc! But the WF55 was almost “paint by numbers” very easy if you get organised
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll