Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Nadine guitars - 80s japanese clones - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Nadine guitars - 80s japanese clones

What's Hot
slugeliseslugelise Frets: 106
edited November 2022 in Guitar
I bought a strat copy 2nd hand in the 80s, I still have it. However there's not much online about nadine guitars. I did manage to track down the importer - Dixie from Huddersfield via a mutual friend and get the story, interesting read I hope.

By the end of 1984 Fender Fullerton had closed down and there were no Fender guitars on the market. The Squier range had proved popular and these were "no more". The American manufacturers had been beaten up by the Japanese and now the Japanese were being beaten up by the Koreans.! Worth noting that the price point here was £200.00 The first Squiers were £225.00. When we introed Tokais they were £199.00. So we were all aware of the important £200.00 price point.

I thought that if I could find a ST style guitar to fill this gap I would have a winner. So on a visit to the Frankfurt MusicMesse in March 1985 I was on a hunt for said guitars. I came upon a Japanese distributor called " SANOX". The boss man's name was Sano-so he just added an X to his name. On his stand I found the guitars that I was looking for! I engaged in discussion with him and he understood me. I tactfully pointed out that the name SANOX was a little "off" for the UK-too sanitary!!! So I suggested that he supply me with a plain headstock. Due to the Japanese being beaten up by the Koreans he was happy to get any business.

I decided on 3 guitars-all 3 Strat style.

Standard. 3 single coils and chrome parts. Colours Black or White Price £199.00

Special. SSH pickups with black parts. Colours Black or White.£225.00

Blackstone. All black body and neck with black parts .3 single coils. Price £169.00

I decided on the name Nadine in "homage" to the 1965 Chuck Berry song "Nadine(Honey is that you)" This was a big song for us mid 60's as we played 8 nights a week in the 60's. This tied in with my promo stuff I had hang tags made with a silhouette of a girl with pony-tail and poodle skirt. This image was also in my ads.

I had the water slide decals made in Batley W. Yorks and my then teenage daughter applied these to the headstock for spending money.

First shipment was about 250 guitars. The Blackstone was not up to snuff-spotty finish, poor pickups etc and I did not repeat it. On the second shipment I had the Strats and this time P Bass and J Bass's. Colours again Black or White. £199.00 for the PB and £225.00 for the JB. Also on this shipment samples of the first trad Teles. I asked Sano to follow my spec-alnico pickups, ashtray bridge etc-which he did but we broke the price point.

The 3rd and final shipment in 1986 was entirely different. Only a few Strats But some HH with trem Teles and a few of the Trad Teles. I had some Spector copy basses with laminate necks and Ebonol boards,along with a pointy Jackson copy SSH with Floyd trem,laminate neck and Ebonol board.

This was the last shipment. Sano found the going tuff and disappeared for a while.

Which factory?. Honest truth is I don't know. Contrary to guitar myth the whole Japanese manufacturing was based on sub contracting.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    edited November 2022
    Wow!!!

I almost bought a Special as a spotty 17 year old but ended up with a Yamaha RGX instead. It was an OK guitar. I thought the black hardware made it look like a Charvel. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I'm afraid the name 'Nadine' only has one association for me.

Mad Nads.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited November 2022
    you know,   now Ive read the OP properly,  Im sure I do remember seeing some Sanox branded strats and possibly a LP - in a shop in Execeter - early/mid 80s -  they had Toks as well  -  the name certainly rings a very dusty bell
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Dixie is without a doubt my best friend within the guitar industry - We go back nearly 45 years now - And yes I recall stocking and selling a few Nadine Strats back in the day - Funnily enough I've never seen one since - I saw the header and thought I might be able to add some info, then realised that Dixie had told you all you need to know

Think @HarrySeven has one
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dixie is without a doubt my best friend within the guitar industry - We go back nearly 45 years now - And yes I recall stocking and selling a few Nadine Strats back in the day - Funnily enough I've never seen one since - I saw the header and thought I might be able to add some info, then realised that Dixie had told you all you need to know

He is an utter gentleman according to our mutual friend.
  • I remember Arthur Bird at Guitar Player in Rochdale stocking these. He also knew Dixie.
    tFB Trader
    I remember Arthur Bird at Guitar Player in Rochdale stocking these. He also knew Dixie.
    It was good to see Arthur again at the guitar show - Will he be at Aintree again 
  • Dixie is without a doubt my best friend within the guitar industry - We go back nearly 45 years now - And yes I recall stocking and selling a few Nadine Strats back in the day - Funnily enough I've never seen one since - I saw the header and thought I might be able to add some info, then realised that Dixie had told you all you need to know

Did have, but not at the moment.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• I remember Arthur Bird at Guitar Player in Rochdale stocking these. He also knew Dixie.
    It was good to see Arthur again at the guitar show - Will he be at Aintree again 
    Not sure. I’ll get in touch with him.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    Dixie is without a doubt my best friend within the guitar industry - We go back nearly 45 years now - And yes I recall stocking and selling a few Nadine Strats back in the day - Funnily enough I've never seen one since - I saw the header and thought I might be able to add some info, then realised that Dixie had told you all you need to know

Didn't Dixie Kidd pass away a few years ago?
    Or was it just retirement?

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FelineGuitars said:
    Very much still with us. He had a stand at the Whitworth Guitar Show in June.
    edited November 2022 tFB Trader
    FelineGuitars said:
    Very much still with us. He had a stand at the Whitworth Guitar Show in June.
    He retired a few years ago - As Richard said, he still exhibits at guitars shows now and then + sells the odd guitar via e-bay - I chat to him every 2/3 weeks
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    My mate's girlfriend's best pal was called Nadine. Filth.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    slugelise said:

Is this the guy who used to run Dandelion Music in Huddersfield?

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    tFB Trader
    JayGee said:
    slugelise said:

Is this the guy who used to run Dandelion Music in Huddersfield?

That was pre '78' time - But yes
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1391
    I used to know Dixie well from my days with JSG.  When I was back in England in the mid 2000's I ran into him at some shows when I was helping out Tim at BKP.  He was always a character and brought in some really interesting things.  I think I got my EBow from him many years ago.

Mark, give him a hello from me and wish him well next time you talk.  Thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader
    PhilKing said:
    I used to know Dixie well from my days with JSG.  When I was back in England in the mid 2000's I ran into him at some shows when I was helping out Tim at BKP.  He was always a character and brought in some really interesting things.  I think I got my EBow from him many years ago.

I will do - I'll hopefully see him next week at the Aintree show - If not I'll speak to him during the work - he was a good friend of my dad as well and could chat for ages about jazz and the relevant 'hero's within this sector - Hence his name 'Dixie' 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2221
    Seen many Sanox sunburst strats in cash converters and online, always looked a bit.... Argos to me. 

• I had a black Nadine Strat and it was great. Sold it to a mate, he still has it I think.

• I remember Dandelion music. I knew bloke who worked there called Mick Massey. This was after 78 though. Early 80s. 
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 322
    I bought a Sanox branded bass in about 1997, from a Liverpool secondhand shop for £50.  It had been very crudely hand painted and bore some grotesque vinyl ghoul stickers.  It was a strange shape, with a P-bass pickup and controls setup.  I stripped it and painted it lipstick red.  It played surprisingly well.  I eventually sold in on eBay to someone who didn’t play but bought is as a birthday present for his mate - loved it apparently.
    tFB Trader
    I remember Dandelion music. I knew bloke who worked there called Mick Massey. This was after 78 though. Early 80s. 
    I’ll ask him if he recalls him
  • Lebarque said:
    My mate's girlfriend's best pal was called Nadine. Filth.
    Do you still have her number? Asking for a friend!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slugeliseslugelise Frets: 106
    one on ebay currently - £495

https://t.co/mItqPsrNSS

• PhilKing said:

I will do - I'll hopefully see him next week at the Aintree show - If not I'll speak to him during the work - he was a good friend of my dad as well and could chat for ages about jazz and the relevant 'hero's within this sector - Hence his name 'Dixie' 
    bumped into Dixie this morning at a guitar techs. He's looking well. Regailed us with tales of hank marvins off colour strat in the young ones, how only 24 were imported, 2 for the shadows and 22 to a guitar shop in glasgow,