Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). HX effects advice… - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

HX effects advice…

JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 202
edited November 2022 in Digital & Modelling

Hi all, I’ve got a question about the HX Effects…

I’ve been asked to join a metalcore/hardcore band, with elements of math and post-rock. So I might need quite a few sounds. Guitar/amp wise, I’ll be running an AV65 JM w/ hot p90 and a LPC. I’ve just got an Orange rockerverb 100, which I’m going to put KT88s in and get rebiased, and I’m running that through an old Randall 4x12 w/ Jaguar speakers.

I knew that using amp gain would mean I’d have to use an effects loop for reverb and delay, but I didn’t want to use the same Twin + Pedals setup I use for my own band. I know the Helix effects are well-regarded, and I figure that I could use the HX for modulation, reverb and delay, and boost, as well as I believe channel-switching on the orange, and with the 4-cable method I could get away without having a messy board with loads of cables or a separate switcher.

I guess my question is- given than it could do the above, do the boosts in the HX suffice? I won’t be using any stand-alone dirt from it, so as long as it can tighten up the RV like a SD-1 would or something that would do.

Alternatively I was gonna go SD-1, with a DOD Rubberneck & my Eventide Space in the loop, and probably some kind of noise suppressor and a channel switcher for the amp, but my Space needs repairing which is like half the cost of a HX Effects 2nd hand… and by the time I’ve gotten a decent delay w/ tap temp, an NS, a boost, and a new power supply & board, we’re looking at around that cost also.  

What do we think? Would the HX Effects (w/ wah) do all I need?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    Yes, it would do what you need. The real question is would you like what it does.

Personally, I like the boosts. Then again, I like its drives too so some would say that I have no taste :) 

Sadly the only way you will ever know about this or any other FX pedal is to get hold of one and see how you feel about it in 3 months time.

The good news is that HX FX units seem to hold their value so if you get a used one you should be able to move it on with minimal, or even no loss. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Yes imho - the Kinky Boost (EP) is a good model, as is the Minotaur (Klon) as a boost and the Teemah! (Timmy) - bear in mind too that you can just turn a simple gain block on and off.

"Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • This is exactly how I use mine - boosts and compressor into the front with delays, modulation and a solo dB boost into the loop. Once you get the routing setup and understand where the blocks go it is quite flexible.

I have a preset per song with 4 snapshots on each preset - usually rhythm 1, rhythm 2, lead and clean. Most of the time I don't use them all but it is so much simpler to order the presets with the set list and step through them with a single footswitch each song change.

You can also switch amp channels over midi if supported on the amp and I have that on all of my presets too. When combined with the level boost in the loop it means I can choose channel 2 or 3 for my lead sound depending on the type I'm going for. As long as the snapshot has the appropriate blocks turned on I get the solo volume level I need and any effects and boosts required.

One tip is to confirm the loop levels because the HX FX can switch between line and instrument levels on both loops in both directions.
  • Just looked at the rockerverb and midi is out. My rig would switch that because I always run a Boss TAE with or without onstage cab. The TAE has an amp control jack which you can toggle through midi so the HX FX can control a midi enabled amp or a simpler switchable amp for me (my 5150 III has midi in the amp but the PRS MT15 and 6505 are foot switch only but you can program the HX FX snapshots to output commands for both scenarios and the redundant signal will just be ignored allowing any amp to be backup). I put the loop into the Boss TAE as well so it could run any amp without a loop of its own and I don't use the amp's loops for any of my heads but it works just the same on the HX FX side.
  • Interesting stuff, thanks @jasonbone75 !

I’ll have to do some research. I do prefer single pedals (my own board is pretty big, like 13 pedals) but I simply don’t have the budget right now to go in on high quality individual effects…
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    The HX boosts to a decent approximation (lets say 98%) of the analog equivalent. with the added bonus of being able to easily EQ/filter the signal too (klon as a boost with a low cut is great for metal instead of the standard TS). 

I slighlty prefer an actual pedal driving a real amp - just feels nicer. 
    i much prefer a HX boost driving a HX amp. just works better. 

in a metal mix, I go with whatever is easiest for you. 
  • A word of warning - the HX Effects' amp control switching doesn't appear to be isolated. When I tried it with my Jet City amps, I got a horrendous ground loop that I just couldn't get rid of.

It may well work with the Orange, but I'd say try it out first.
    <space for hire>
  • A word of warning - the HX Effects' amp control switching doesn't appear to be isolated. When I tried it with my Jet City amps, I got a horrendous ground loop that I just couldn't get rid of.

It may well work with the Orange, but I'd say try it out first.
    Another reason I love the Boss TAE paired with the HX FX. Ground lift switches all over the place!