Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). TFB Lesson 2 - Never Too Much - Luther Vandross - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

TFB Lesson 2 - Never Too Much - Luther Vandross

EvoEvo Frets: 292
Here I am, back again with another "lesson" just in case anybody would like to make use of it. 

Today we're looking at the function band favourite "Never Too Much" by Luther Vandross.

Cover - https://youtu.be/AWjU5Ea-nfU

Tab - https://www.dgsessions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Never-Too-Much.pdf

The great Paul Jackson Jr on this track, so we can expect some of his trademark "bubble picking" and likely a few 6ths thrown in for good measure.

Top of the list to watch out for on this track is your timing, nailing all those syncopations (off-beats) in the riff every time is a lot harder than it looks. Be sure to listen carefully to the space left in this song, it can be very tempting to try and fill up the gaps with r 'n' b licks or funk strumming but hold your load on this one. The space is essential for the feel and "groove" of the song. Remember, groove lives in the spaces between notes so if you don't feel like it's grooving then you're likely overplaying.

Next up is the bubble picking in the verses, keep this muted and percussive. It isn't a solo or a rock riff, you're meant to blend into the background and not draw too much attention to yourself. Also, fight the urge to venture away from the written part as improvised lines in this section rarely fit as neatly into the gaps as the original. The odd embellishment would likely be fine, but don't go over the top. 

Likewise in the chorus, respect the spaces between the notes and fight that urge to fill them. Again, also be mindful of your timing when executing the sliding 6ths (listen carefully to the track to find exactly where each slide falls).

Lastly, watch your timing when you hit the chords coming out of the first chorus. The chords are the same as the intro, but the timing is not (there's a 3/4 bar in there waiting to trip you up).

Again, if anybody has any questions or would like me to explain/expand on anything further then please feel free to ask in the comments or send me a private message if you'd prefer.

All the best,

Evo
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Brilliant cheers! Alwasy wanted to learn this, but tabs were never enough to sound 'right'. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EvoEvo Frets: 292
    You’re very welcome!

If you have any questions or need a hand nailing any of the sections then drop me a message any time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    That's great! Thanks for sharing: tonight's 'what to learn next' practice session sorted :)
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer