Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Modal Argon 8X, Opinions? - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Modal Argon 8X, Opinions?

What's Hot
I am in the market for a new Synth, I have a voucher with Andertons to burn and I’m currently eyeing up the Argon 8X.
im trying to move on my Roland FA08 so would like the larger keyboard to act as my controller keyboard too.

i really like the sounds from this and I’m really very much a preset kind of guy, who fiddles with presets, rather than starting from scratch.

has anyone used the 8X and can advise on the build quality or reliability of it? I’m not really after opinions on the sound as I do really like what I’ve heard.

but if you have any other hardware recommendations to consider in the same price bracket then let me have them! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited November 2022
    I have an Argon8, but not the 'X' version, like this   https://www.thomann.de/gb/modal_argon8.htmI ;
    I haven't used it as much as I should, because reasons, but it is beautifully constructed & well put together, feeling very solid.
    This review of the 'X' covers a lot of the positives that I have found & it is better specced too 
    https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/modal-electronics-argon-8x
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I had an Argon for a bit.

I thought it was a well built keyboard with a really nice feeling Fatar keybed.

It sounded very good and was quite fun to tweak around with.

Generally it's between that and the Hydrasynth which people tend to consider.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    I had an Argon for a bit.

I thought it was a well built keyboard with a really nice feeling Fatar keybed.

It sounded very good and was quite fun to tweak around with.

Generally it's between that and the Hydrasynth which people tend to consider.
    You certainly did & now it's mine. Mine you hear? Mine all mine, mwahahahah...  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Great feedback! I think I’m sold on the 8X
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had the Argon as well - its actually a nice controller as each knob sends its own CC (its better than Hydrasynth in this regards) HOWEVER.....  It is a wavetable synth first and foremost.   I wouldnt SERIOUSLY consider the Cobalt over the Argon if its your only synth...  It does the typical synth stuff better.

Its identical in build and capability as a controller, same keybed - just the more traditional synth engine.

• Thanks,
    i have other synths, so this will fill the wave table gap I have. I also prefer this sound over the Cobalt and others like the Wavestation ones from Korg! 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I had the Argon as well - its actually a nice controller as each knob sends its own CC (its better than Hydrasynth in this regards) HOWEVER.....  It is a wavetable synth first and foremost.   I wouldnt SERIOUSLY consider the Cobalt over the Argon if its your only synth...  It does the typical synth stuff better.

Its identical in build and capability as a controller, same keybed - just the more traditional synth engine.

Yeah I totally agree with this.

It's very much in that cold, modern wavetable vibe rather than the warm slightly wonkey synthwave vibe of a VA synth.
  • Thanks,
    i have other synths, so this will fill the wave table gap I have. I also prefer this sound over the Cobalt and others like the Wavestation ones from Korg! 

Fair enough - obviously didnt know you had other synths.

I had my Argon for the same thing - as a controller and a wavetable synth (as I have some DSis, a Peak, Virus among others). it was the 37 key version though (due to space) which I ended up replacing with an Iridium keyboard.   

The Argon is nice,  well build and a good controller with a nice keybed.   If teh wavetable engine is what you want rather than a VA, then the Argon is fine.
  • I had the Argon as well - its actually a nice controller as each knob sends its own CC (its better than Hydrasynth in this regards) HOWEVER.....  It is a wavetable synth first and foremost.   I wouldnt SERIOUSLY consider the Cobalt over the Argon if its your only synth...  It does the typical synth stuff better.

But the Cobalt is basically a subtractive synth and does in fact have the more traditional synth engine. Why wouldn't you consider the Cobalt over the Argon in this regard considering it's wavetable?  Do you you mean you wouldn't consider the Argon over the Cobalt? 
  • For me I have two M Audio Venoms which cover my VA need for now! They are in pieces at the moment as I’m converting them from Crappy Keyboard to a great VA Desktop or Rack unit to be controlled by the master keybaoard
  • I’ve ordered my Argon 8X it should arrive tomorrow. And got the 61 note 8X for only £499
    im very excited to get this into my setup
  • So, after a couple of weeks with the Argon. I love it. Well built and so
    playable.
    i go to it and pick a sound and it’s instant inspiration! The tweakability of it is immediate amazing!

i also bagged a Mininova second hand for £150 from Andertons. So that should pair nicely with this!