Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). accuracy exercises - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

accuracy exercises

What's Hot
Im sloppy at best when it comes to accuracy (ive got lots of other things to work on but that is part of the fun for me) so i'm looking for exercises to improve my coordination and accuracy of both picking and fretting hands, i've had a browse and there are hundreds of results , most of which promise the earth but does anybody have a link to some really good exercises for an advanced beginner? (or a shite intermediate, it depends on the day). I can play a bit (punky stuff, sabbath, folk stuff, some finger picky things if they are slow- i'm probably slightly better than I describe myself but there are huge holes in my technique etc) songs, chords and chord variations and i'm getting into jamming with a bass playing mate.
 The jamming has highlighted the flaws and stuff I'd like to improve. I'm cutting back on the buggering about with gear and focusing on improving so any help much appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• spev11spev11 Frets: 214
    forgot to add that i'm looking at this at the moment https://www.guitarchalk.com/guitar-exercises/ ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Slow down and play to a metronome.
    Then speed up over a period of weeks.

Speed is a by-product of accuracy.
    You can get accurate by playing slowly.
    Im not overly concerned with speed, as you say speed comes with accuracy. I just feel i'm a bit sloppy fretting. I incorporate scales with a metronome in my practice ( minor pentatonic and major at the moment) as my timing needs improvement. 
     Just wondered if there were some specific exercises that focus on accuracy. 
    And yes slowing down is something i'll do more of, I actually find playing slowly quite difficult (once i drop below 60bpm I go to pot)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    spev11 said:
    Im not overly concerned with speed, as you say speed comes with accuracy. I just feel i'm a bit sloppy fretting. I incorporate scales with a metronome in my practice ( minor pentatonic and major at the moment) as my timing needs improvement. 
     Just wondered if there were some specific exercises that focus on accuracy. 
    And yes slowing down is something i'll do more of, I actually find playing slowly quite difficult (once i drop below 60bpm I go to pot)
    Not especially.
    Just play all the stuff you play slower, in addition to scales, arpeggios etc.
    It gives you more thinking time, the ability to target better.
    Then you can get your speed up to where you play it sloppily at the moment, but tighter.
    right oh i'll get to it, gotta sharpen these stubby little fingers up and getting em doing what I want em to do.
  • Check out Ben Eller's Youtube channel ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 387
    recording yourself is helpful.  record yourself playing SLOW over a click in a daw (scales are fine) and see where the sloppiness comes from.  I tend to push, which sounds truly awful and it helps.  Also you may see repeated errors in areas that may be to do with picking limitations (eg string skipping)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    joeW said:
    recording yourself is helpful.  record yourself playing SLOW over a click in a daw (scales are fine) and see where the sloppiness comes from.  I tend to push, which sounds truly awful and it helps.  Also you may see repeated errors in areas that may be to do with picking limitations (eg string skipping)
    Yep, recording to drum tracks will tighten you up in no time. It puts your playing under a microscope