Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Will a Kemper cure my amp GAS? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Will a Kemper cure my amp GAS?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Have you tried a Kemper? IME all of the profiles feel the same in terms of response - I.e, basically none of the feel you get with an actual amp. I had this weird cognitive dissonance where you dial up a modded plexi or Soldano sound then a Matchless and then a Vox and it sounds fairly close to the amp modelled yet there’s no real difference to the way it feels at the fingertips. I can see the benefits in terms of weight and setup and for recording, but I just didn’t think I’d ever plug in to one for *fun*.

I tried a Helix back to back and thought that was even worse.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 383
    Have you tried a Kemper? IME all of the profiles feel the same in terms of response - I.e, basically none of the feel you get with an actual amp. I had this weird cognitive dissonance where you dial up a modded plexi or Soldano sound then a Matchless and then a Vox and it sounds fairly close to the amp modelled yet there’s no real difference to the way it feels at the fingertips. I can see the benefits in terms of weight and setup and for recording, but I just didn’t think I’d ever plug in to one for *fun*.

I tried a Helix back to back and thought that was even worse.

No I have not tried one, only seen the YouTube comparisons e.g. Andertons etc.

But thanks for the insight!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The Kemper is great; will it cure GAS ???

Nothing has cured mine, as you can see !!!

Thr strength of any modeller is what you are playing it through
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1896
    There is so many different things you can do with modelling hardware there are no right or wrong answers, and it might take a while to work out how it best works for you.  On a simple level there is the choice of FRFR or using a guitar speaker. I can't get on with FRFR at all. Then there are lots of other options like using 4CM with an existing valve head or using a modeller into the return of an amp fx loop.

I have kept my valve heads and combos and use the Helix into the fx return or use 4CM. By keeping your existing amps, you always have to option to switch between modelling and physical amps if you need to. I'd definitely recommend this, so you can periodically check you don't feel you are missing out using modelling or get a fix of blasting through a real amp.  

I know you said you want the minimum connecting of laptops, but if you have an audio interface, you can download demos of most of the main modelling VST's and run the line out of the interface into the fx return on one of your existing amps to get a feel for if you like using modelled amps and FX. Just remember to bypass the cab model in the software. You can get a lot of learning done for not much money trialling this way. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 383
    I've seen 3 live bands recently where the guitarist sounded fantastic. 

Some basic pedals and a Roland cube 
    Strymon Iridium into the PA
    And this week in Sheffield...... Some decent pedals through a Boss Katana!!!! 

My head is spinning. 

Must point out that all 3 guitarists were phenomenal players.
  • Onpar said:
    I've seen 3 live bands recently where the guitarist sounded fantastic. 

Some basic pedals and a Roland cube 
    Strymon Iridium into the PA
    And this week in Sheffield...... Some decent pedals through a Boss Katana!!!! 

My head is spinning. 

Must point out that all 3 guitarists were phenomenal players.
    Good players usually have the ability to get the best sound out of whatever they play, which is a skill in itself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter