Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Helix > EHX amp pedal> Mesa cab - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Helix > EHX amp pedal> Mesa cab

What's Hot
If this would work, I’d like to try using my Mesa Express as a guitar cab and plug my Helix into i the speaker using something like a Electro Harmonix 5mm or 44 Magnum pedal amp. 
Would that work?
 Would I need a speaker cable to go from the pedal to the speaker or would an ordinary guitar cable do?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It would work. You need a speaker extension cable to connect it, if the amp’s internal cable won’t reach to the EH amp when it’s sitting on (or behind) the Mesa - but it probably will, Mesa are fairly generous with the cable length.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Just use the FX return in your Express’ loop; no need for an additional power-amp.
  • Just use the FX return in your Express’ loop; no need for an additional power-amp.
    I should have clarified that this is an experiment to see if there’s any difference between my Headrush FRFR versus a cab. 
    After reading that many players miss the sort of feel that you get from playing an amp in the room as against a modeller I thought I’d give it a try but without spending much, the HX 5mm is only £60 so it’s worth a try. 
    It may make no difference at my level of playing but it would be a bit of fun trying :)
  • Much of a muchness but you can use the power amp stage of the Express by plugging the Helix into the FX return, completely bypassing the preamp. It’d be near as dammit the same as using the 5mm, but without the extra outlay and cables, and with the ‘benefit’ of a valve power stage.

Fwiw, I’ve run Helix units into FRFR monitors, and into power amps and cabs and MUCH prefer the latter. Bypass any cab modelling/IRs on the Helix, and limit yourself to the cab/speaker in front of you and suddenly the whole thing feels much more familiar to most guitarists. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks for taking the time to reply @guitargeek62. ;
    If I run like you describe would I keep the pre-amps from the Helix? I really like some of the HX amps such as the Lonestar, PRS and couple of the Fenders. If I ran through the Express power amp would it change the HElix amps sounds?
    My Express has sat unused since I got the Helix so it would be great to use both effectively
  • DeftDeft Frets: 28
    In Helix an 'amp' is a pre-amp and power amp emulation combined. In theory running just a Helix 'pre-amp' into the Express power amp would sound different from the full amp model, but I'd be amazed if you could hear any difference, and even if you could it would be very easy to dial out.
  • @BlueStrat Yep, you can still use the pre-amps/amps from the HX into the Express’ FX return like that with no ill effects at all. Even better, you don’t need a speaker cable to do it with - just a normal instrument cable from the HX Outs to the Express’ FX In is all you need. :)

@Deft - it’s been a while but can you actually split out the pre- and power-amp models in the HX? I only remember being able to split the cabs/IRs away as a separate block? It has been about a year though since I last had one, so apologies if I’m mis-remembering.

As Deft says, I’d be astounded if you’d notice any (negative) colouration to the HX models from the Express’ power amp stage. Anything that does get imparted would probably only make the models feel more ‘real’.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Bear in mind that some of the controls on the Express may affect the power amp even if you’re not going through the preamp - obviously the power setting, but also (I think) the channel mode switches - on Mesa amps these often change the power amp negative feedback. (eg on the Rectifier series, ‘Modern’ mode removes it completely.) This will definitely change the sound.

I would not expect changes like this, or the difference between modelled power amps in the Helix, to make no audible difference - quite the opposite, that’s the whole point of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ^ probably, especially the 5:25/5:50 switches. That said, it’ll be easy enough to find the most ‘neutral’ or complimentary setting from the Express to go with the HX and its preferred amp models.
  • ICBM said:
    Bear in mind that some of the controls on the Express may affect the power amp even if you’re not going through the preamp - obviously the power setting, but also (I think) the channel mode switches - on Mesa amps these often change the power amp negative feedback. (eg on the Rectifier series, ‘Modern’ mode removes it completely.) This will definitely change the sound.

I would not expect changes like this, or the difference between modelled power amps in the Helix, to make no audible difference - quite the opposite, that’s the whole point of them.
    I hadn’t thought of the four mode switches and the 5/25 power options, you are indeed a tone guru!
    I’ll give it a try and see what happens 
  • DeftDeft Frets: 28
    guitargeek62 said:
    @Deft - it’s been a while but can you actually split out the pre- and power-amp models in the HX? I only remember being able to split the cabs/IRs away as a separate block? It has been about a year though since I last had one, so apologies if I’m mis-remembering.
    Yep since 2.9 they have separated out all the pre-amps, amps and cabs

• Deft said:
    guitargeek62 said:
    Yep since 2.9 they have separated out all the pre-amps, amps and cabs

Neat - even more options to lose myself in!!! :mrgreen: I suspect I'll go back to HX again next year, but this time with a Stomp as part of a traditional amp and pedal setup.