Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Small amp advice please? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Small amp advice please?

What's Hot
xchrisxchris Frets: 5

Hello All.

Could I ask for the wisdom of the hive on this one please? Sorry this is a bit long…

I am looking for that unicorn, the great home volume-friendly amp that will give that nice progressive and responsive valve breakup sound at low volumes (I mean low). I have tried and failed to tame my fantastic Supro Tremo-Verb, it’s a great amp, but it’s just too loud and attenuation isn’t really working, it sounds artificial. I will be selling it or trading for something more suitable for me.

I think I need a tube amp, but happy to be persuaded that I am wrong, if tech has moved on since I last tried, but as good-sounding as solid state or hybrid amps might be, they are just not responsive as tube amps are, imho anyway. I am not entirely sold on the claims for master volume controls either. I have read several threads on this topic but things do move on and the perfect solution may just have appeared.

I have picked away at all the offerings I can find and at the moment I seem to be looking at a small Swart maybe with night light or Tone King with IronMan most likely, but am aware of amps from other makers that might fit the bill, but am also constantly coming across tiny boutique manufacturers that I had never previously heard of and so want to be sure that I am missing nothing before I take the plunge, as while I have and use several different guitars, I will only want and use one amp. I don’t need lots of options, I’m a plug and play player, and only use a couple of essential pedals and those are not for tone, only time effects. I would like onboard spring reverb if possible, and a very low noise floor is important for me, otherwise open to suggestions….

Cost wise, something more or less swappable for the Supro or a little bit more and I am happy to buy used, especially here. I guess that’s £1,000 - £1,200ish. But I can always sell another guitar I suppose.

My dream tone can be heard on Alex Chilton playing ‘What’s Your Sign, Girl?’ at the Cooper-Young festival in Memphis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96eUR0fizQ0

(not sure if the link will work….)

All advice and info gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Chris

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• A Tweed Champ or Tweed Princeton (or clones thereof) maybe? I've got a Tweed Princeton clone in a Deluxe-sized cab with a 12" Jensen and it's great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Came for the mention of Supro sound at home - don't rule out trying a Sweet Honey Overdrive, Honey Bee Overdrive or something similar since they were built around the sound of a small Supro overdrive.

At the minute I get into that type of ballpark at home with a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb and a Sweet Honey Overdrive. No tubes, still very responsive.

I'm not a big pedal user either fwiw, never been a fan of the tap dancing or having plenty to carry, but in terms of for home or something that can be always on I think there's an exception to be made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What drive pedals have you owned or used with your current amp? 

You may not like this answer but the easiest way to get the tones you want at low volume (into your current amp or a neutral powered speaker) is to buy a quality modeller. I have 3 nice valve amps but can dial in a sound like you referenced in 5 mins on the gt-1000 I have. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks all. I have been using the Supro Drive pedal, it's ok but I still don't have what I'm looking for. However, after looking at the GT1000 online, it's clear that I am way behind the curve on what modern modellers can do and I will investigate further...

Yes a tweed is on the list of contenders....
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1030
    edited November 2022
    The best solution I've found for this is a valve amp with a direct out inc IR's running into studio monitors or headphones.
    There are a number of amps out there that have in built Two Notes tech. The Revv G20 & D20 have this. Victory have recently released their range of amps in a pedal based format with this tech (I'm selling my Sheriff V4 in the classifieds!!). Also Laney have just released an amp with this tech as well. On the higher end Suhr also have their PT15 amp witch IR tech.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    Lovely sound in that vid - looks like P-90s into a cranked Fender Super Reverb getting that crunch tone - he's got the onboard reverb whacked up as well on it. Chilton isn't keen on pedals (they're for bikes he says =) ). Some of the sound in that vid is the way he's w dampening the strings for chord stabs as well.

My advice? You've got a smashing amp there for home AND stage use. 
    Buy an overdrive pedal (Boss BD-2 or thereabouts) - £70? - set your crunch. DONE.
    Plug in, learn to play and sing his back catalogue and have a blast.

There's absolutely no need to spend thousands disappearing down a rabbit hole for "tone". I sometimes wish that word had never been used in connection with guitar playing.  :/
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • I’ve got the Supro ‘64 Super currently, and it is perfect, don’t know why I had it up for sale…

had a Tone King Gremlin before and couldn’t get along with it at all. The Falcon Grande on the other hand was superb! 
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 423
    Fender 68 vibro champ reverb?
  • louis_LLM said:
    I’ve got the Supro ‘64 Super currently, and it is perfect, don’t know why I had it up for sale…

had a Tone King Gremlin before and couldn’t get along with it at all. The Falcon Grande on the other hand was superb! 
    I was going to suggest the Supro 1605R, lovely tiny little amp which will be somewhere in the ballpark of your current one but very manageable on volume. You can also take various lines out and lines in, including separate dry and reverb outputs which is really cool.

I mainly sold mine because it was very expensive and I couldn't justify it with my ability but i've not had anything better since
  • Left field suggestion Super Champ X2, I love mine.  Although would be a lot under budget.
    my trading feedback HERE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    633 Engineering Dragonfly RT, absolutely superb little amps.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MrTee said:
    Fender 68 vibro champ reverb?
    I have one of these and love it but it’s pretty loud for home use at the point of breakup (i have to use an attenuator to stay on friendly terms with the neighbours).
  • This is all great, thank you FBers.

So my current favourite options look like:

try harder with my current amp :)
    633 Dragonfly RT (v interesting...)
    Tone King Falcon Grande
    Swart Space Tone Jr with Nightlight
    the above 3 should just about come in at £1200 used.

Does anyone think the cheaper Vox AC4TV or Blackstar HT5R Mk2 are any good?

chris
  • I have an AC4-C1. The amp sounds lovely but the cab isn't great. If you pair it with an external cab then it's perfect for low volume practicing or recording.
  • Cornell Romany 12? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    edited November 2022
  • I’d add Laney IRT Studio to your list to consider. It’s got 1 watt and 15 watt outputs, various output options, and is quite compact.
  • An AA1164 from Modulus?
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    I think the 633 Dragonfly RT is now top of my GAS list...
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 161
    edited November 2022
    I started with HT5R mk2, it's OK, the 2nd clean voice especially, but it's about to go up for sale as the 633 Dragonfly RT is in a different league, and a whole different price band tbh.
  • xchrisxchris Frets: 5
    In case anybody is still reading this thread...

I did get hold of a 633 Dragonfly RT thanks to a fellow FBer and it is fantastic, just what I wanted. Very responsive and will break up naturally at very low volumes indeed, no need for pedals.

Got my amp choice right at the 4th attempt (previously Fender, Supro and Vox).

A lot of money but I guess you get what you pay for.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Yup, the Dragonfly is excellent indeed. 
  • I had a Supro 64 reverb and it was fantastic but ended up returning it because mine had a faulty spring tank.

I now have a Supro Amulet which is well worth the extra £200 over the 64 reverb. You get a lot more amp for the money.
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    I am an tube amp snob I have DR Z & Rift & Fender amps but they are not really usable at home so I have a Boss Katana 50
      MK II EX & Spark Mini and they do the job. You could always buy something like the Boss GX-100 multi effects and the amp
      sounds are really good in that not only that but they also feel like a valve amp. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    What about those little Damplifier amps? The builder is a member here. He has this "orangey" amp which he calls the Jaffa Cake, amongst others.