Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mimi Parker - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mimi Parker

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2359
Such a beautiful soulful voice and a genuinely kind person, taken too soon. She will be missed by many.

I rarely feel a sense of personal loss when artists or famous people die, however I do today.
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • So sad. I didn’t know she was ill. I was looking forward to seeing them play again this month but the date was cancelled and I didn’t know why. One of my favourite ever bands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Sad news. One of the best gigs I’ve been to was Low at the Union Chapel. Incredibly atmospheric. 

A beautiful voice lost. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    Was introduced to Low and Mimi playing at midnight in  a Unitarian chapel in Austin at SxSW in 2016. Possibley the most unorthodox and best gig of my life, and what a voice in harmony with Alan. So sad.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 742
    Awful news. Such a pure voice - what a loss.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited November 2022
    This is the worst. Have seen Low so many times I've lost count and each show betters the last - can't believe it will never happen again.

Feel so bad for Alan & family too. At heart he's a thoroughly decent human - the biggest loss is his. Imagine finding your musical soulmate at primary school and starting a family with them... can't even fathom all this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I’ll have to check them out, as they’ve somehow passed me by.. awfully sad, anyway… absolutely no age..  :(
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Been playing them all morning.

@usedtobe Others will disagree (it wouldn't be thefretboard if they didn't :) ) but I'd start with "Things We Lost in the Fire" one of my all time favourite albums
  • tbmtbm Frets: 541
    edited November 2022
    Knew things weren't looking good for her, but this still hits hard.

Didn't see them this tour, but saw them on the Double Negative run.  As a band they were only getting better, and the increased dissonance in their music only stood to highlight her beautiful voice and spare, perfect drumming. I'd say poor Alan is lost.

RIP Mimi. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    @usedtobe I'd say The Great Destroyer is possibly their most accessible album, especially if you like a big guitar sound. Every album they made though has something special about it, and every album and song couldn't exist without Mimi's contribution. There can't be Low without Mimi. What a legacy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    ewal said:
    @usedtobe I'd say The Great Destroyer is possibly their most accessible album, especially if you like a big guitar sound. Every album they made though has something special about it, and every album and song couldn't exist without Mimi's contribution. There can't be Low without Mimi. What a legacy.
    Thank you. I’ll give them a go..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

From this 

To this 

While this is mostly about Mimi, her family and friends - it also really is a stunning body of work to be coming to an end.
  • tbm said:
    Knew things weren't looking good for her, but this still hits hard.

Didn't see them this tour, but saw them on the Double Negative run.  As a band they were only getting better, and the increased dissonance in their music only stood to highlight her beautiful voice and spare, perfect drumming. I'd say poor Alan is lost.

RIP Mimi. 
    Same here, saw them on the DN run and it was like they were getting better and better the more albums they were making, pushing themselves sonically. A sad loss, while the likes of Putin etc are still alive.
    I hope Alan continues making music sometime in the future.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    edited November 2022
    Sad news indeed. 

This is the most recent thing of theirs I heard.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • camfcamf Frets: 1175
    So sad. Amazing band. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tbmtbm Frets: 541

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • Sad one, what a great talent!
    Top deals and Respekt to these fretboarders! beexter, bluechargeboy, John_BlackWolf
    chugington, theguitarist182, DPC, Nige458

• Oh no, such a sweet voice and unique band. 
  • usedtobe said:
    I’ll have to check them out, as they’ve somehow passed me by.. awfully sad, anyway… absolutely no age..  :(
    With Christmas coming up, as well as the LPs suggested you have to check out the Low Christmas EP. Its incredible. 
    usedtobe said:
    With Christmas coming up, as well as the LPs suggested you have to check out the Low Christmas EP. Its incredible. 
    I'm worried it's going to be too sad to listen to this year... I've seen Low play it in its entirety, as they occasionally did here every few years if they were through in December - it was magical.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Whitecat said:
    That was quite some insight. A remarkable band. Just checked my shelves - I have 16 albums, 2 EPs, and a boxset. Very glad I got to see them play once - it was the quietest, most reverential audience I’ve been in, everyone was there to see them play and not chat drunkenly to their mates. I was supposed to see them again last week.