Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Solo of the Month (SotM) #88 - Challenge - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Solo of the Month (SotM) #88 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
edited November 2022 in Making Music
This is the 88th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open and ends at midnight 23rd November 2022

Discussion:
This backing track was kindly provided by @fastonebaz

You can download backing track from Soundcloud below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm88-fastonebaz-stormy-seas?si=6a0008c1032746eba61b839369d74fba&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Title: Stormy Seas

Tempo: 50 bpm

Time Signature: 6/8

Chords:

|Em  | Bm  |Em  |Bm  |Em  |Bm  |
|C/G  Am/C |B/F#  G/E |

|Em  |Am  |Em  |Am  |Em  |Am  |

|C  |Dadd4add9 |Em  |Em |
|C  |Dadd4add9 |Am  |B  |B  |

|Em | Bm  |  repeat to fade

Note:
The Dadd4add9 is and open C/G shape above slid up 2 frets with an A on the 6th string and 3rd and 1st strings open (but with a D on the bass guitar)

There should be headroom to record your solo. Try to set a level without excessive master limiting, because we want to avoid loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm88-2022-11?si=48d53c4ae04d4dc1929e3c8a8835419e&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Sent mine in.  (I've had a bit longer since I composed the backing track  =) )  I'm a huge fan of all the solo tracks people compose where there are multiple guitar solo layers, call and response, harmonies etc they sound so awesome, but I generally prefer (can be arsed) to aim for a single take so i know i can play it in one go. 

So my approach is to noodle for ages until i find something i like, then shape it to a rough story, then play it 100 times so I can get it nearly right then hit record :smile: 

Also managed to video this one:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sent mine in...

It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 598
    Thanks to @fastonebaz for the excellent backing track ....just ha go now 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @Barney is that your final entry? If so could you send an mp3. Otherwise I can extract the audio from the Youtube clip if you want me to.

It's not a competition.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 598
    @Barney is that your final entry? If so could you send an mp3. Otherwise I can extract the audio from the Youtube clip if you want me to.

Sorry I didn't do a MP3 ...I just recorded a vid ...iff you can take it off YouTube that would be great ...iff not I could do a different  one with MP3 :)
  • Barney said:
    @Barney is that your final entry? If so could you send an mp3. Otherwise I can extract the audio from the Youtube clip if you want me to.

Sorry I didn't do a MP3 ...I just recorded a vid ...iff you can take it off YouTube that would be great ...iff not I could do a different  one with MP3 :)
    I can lift an mp3 from the Youtube clip. I'll post it and you can let me know if it sounds OK.

It's not a competition.
  • Well as videos seem to the the thing, I thought I'd have a go. But my video editing skills are sadly lacking :)

Not sure if it's my final entry yet. I might do another one with a few drop-ins that's more polished. 

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Barney said:

It's in the playlist. I lifted the audio from the Youtube clip.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry sent (ignore the first email with no attachment)

Sorry but no video. If I've really got nothing else to do this month then I could try making a "miming to my pre-recorded solo video" like most of YouTube although I'm not sure my low spec laptop and lack of patience could handle the editing as I used 3 different guitars for 4 parts and would probably need a tonne of takes to recreate exactly what I played.

I felt the absolutely gorgeous backing track from @fastonebaz ;fitted a melodic soundscape approach. This track is brought to you by delay, reverb and vibrato.
  • Entry sent

It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • Mine's in the playlist. That makes 4 entries so far.

It's not a competition.
  • I sat down to have a go at this and get it on video but it didn't really pan out:

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Haha excellent
  • Sent one in!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited November 2022
    Sent one in!
    It's in the playlist.
    It's not a competition.
  • Entry closes in 2 days at midnight 23rd November 2022.

It's not a competition.
  • I've had it for this month, I'm afraid. I've had way too much stuff distracting me at the weekends. I will come and vote though.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • Entry closes tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closed.
    It's not a competition.