Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I made a video - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I made a video

What's Hot
BodBod Frets: 1206
edited October 2022 in Making Music
I'm not really one for making a show of myself, but posted a very basic video of me playing on Facebook for friends and family a few weeks ago, and it was met with a positive response so I thought I'd try something a little more involved just for the hell of it.

So, three weeks work (on and off) and a lot of fumbling around in Davinci Resolve, results in around 48 seconds of footage, but I'm quite pleased with the result.  I played all instruments on the recording, including the drums, and despite a few sync issues (and noticing my poor playing technique), I'm pleased with how it turned out.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    Very good.   You even manage a costume change mid performance too :smile: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 560
    That’s some smooth video editing! Though I would’ve cut out the last bit where you just move to stop the video… or was that intentional?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BodBod Frets: 1206
    Very good.   You even manage a costume change mid performance too :smile: 
    hehe.  Yeah, not a continuity error as such, more that I ordered a tripod and it arrived while the shirt was in the wash and I wanted to get cracking ;) I was aware it might look odd, but does it really detract from the video?

Switch625 said:
    That’s some smooth video editing! Though I would’ve cut out the last bit where you just move to stop the video… or was that intentional?
    Thanks!  Yeah it was intentional.  I thought it worked quite well, but as a first attempt I'm definitely open to suggestions and feedback.

It's been a worthwhile exercise, not just the video editing and recording experience, but I can now work on using more than two fingers and positioning my thumb correctly when playing :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 698
    That was great. Next time maybe also include also the bass and drum parts in the video?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    fnpt said:
    That was great. Next time maybe also include also the bass and drum parts in the video?
    Agreed, would love to see you playing the other parts and cutting between them. Would need to make sure you changed clothes for each instrument though ;)

Good effort - I’ve tried to make a similar video and got stuck with syncing the audio up between clips. Must try and revisit it.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited October 2022
    fnpt said:
    Thanks and yeah, I agree.  The length of the video was a bit limiting, and the fact that it was mainly guitar solo, so although I included a bass shot it could only be brief.  I'll do a full-length one next time I think.  Also, I play the drum parts on Roland V-drums, and it looks a bit naff IMO so opted to leave it out this time. 
    mrkb said:
    Good effort - I’ve tried to make a similar video and got stuck with syncing the audio up between clips. Must try and revisit it.
    DaVinci Resolve has some great tools for multicam syncing and switching, plus it's free.  I found the learning curve a bit steep but nothing that a lot of YouTube and Google couldn't help with.  I also recommend learning the keyboard shortcuts for nudging clips by a frame at a time, along with the use of In and Out points on the individual clips.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Love that song. Possibly my fave AIC track as it's such a great start to an album.

You definitely did it justice although the costume changes between standing and sitting were a bit odd as far as the cinematography goes
  • That's excellent work! And confused the hell out of me for a second when I saw my old Ibanez and thought it was one of my threads :lol:
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2493
    Zoinks, before I could even watch the video I was hit first by the number of subs you have, then by the 2.6 million view video on your channel! That must be the highest on any single video by a Fretboarder! Then I espy a Dime guitar in the background!
    edited November 2022
    DLM said:
    Zoinks, before I could even watch the video I was hit first by the number of subs you have, then by the 2.6 million view video on your channel! That must be the highest on any single video by a Fretboarder! Then I espy a Dime guitar in the background!
    That was a total fluke, and I'm still baffled to this day.  I took some footage of a theme park in Spain while on holiday, and it somehow became really popular.  People subscribed despite me having nothing else of value on there.  I think the algorithm must have changed because it very quickly became less popular - still had 6.5k views in the last 28 days though due to Halloween.

The Dime belongs to my son and is one of two he owns, the other being a Dime Slime.  He regularly takes everything off nearby surfaces with them.
    That's excellent work! And confused the hell out of me for a second when I saw my old Ibanez and thought it was one of my threads :lol:
    Still loving it mate.  It turned me on to super strats.  I even own a guitar with a FR now.  ALL your fault ;)
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    edited November 2022
    Ok...this is odd...you seem to have a few vids with a few hundred views...( 1 seems to have gone nuts)...but managed to get over 4.5K subs ...thats just looks strange ?

So not that you seem to need it....but a couple of tips from my YT experience...do better thumbnail, the current one doesn't really depict the content the than guitar playing.

Personally Id avoid the dodgy transition FX, I assume thats what it is...

Anyhow..good work...Oh I subbed as well ...if you feel inclined to follow my YT ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Nice to watch fellow fretboarders in action. 
    Can you tell us about your pick holding technique? I've not seen anyone hold between thumb and middle finger before. You're at a big disadvantage on gigs (and recording sessions) because you can't show anyone the finger so easily...
    merlin said:
    Nice to watch fellow fretboarders in action. 
    Can you tell us about your pick holding technique? I've not seen anyone hold between thumb and middle finger before. You're at a big disadvantage on gigs (and recording sessions) because you can't show anyone the finger so easily...
    I've never noticed that before!  How odd!

When I read your message, I immediately pinched my thumb and first finger together and thought you were talking shite, but there it is in the video!!  Bonkers.
    spark240 said:
    Ok...this is odd...you seem to have a few vids with a few hundred views...( 1 seems to have gone nuts)...but managed to get over 4.5K subs ...thats just looks strange ?

..but a couple of tips from my YT experience...do better thumbnail, the current one doesn't really depict the content the than guitar playing.

Personally Id avoid the dodgy transition FX, I assume thats what it is...

Anyhow..good work...Oh I subbed as well ...if you feel inclined to follow my YT ;-)
    I totally agree!  I have no explanation for it and I've thought long and hard about what people subscribing were after.  They all came off the back of that one video #shrug

I liked the transition effects - aaaaaand starwipe! ;)