Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Open mics - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Open mics

flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
I'm planning to run one at a local pub and the owners are keen. I've performed at plenty over the years but not ran one before.

The pub hosts live music in their function room around one a month and have a decent PA as well as mics and stands. I'd supply the house guitar/spare and run the evening..

Are there any legal/H&S/liability issues I need to be aware of?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Do you have a contract with the pub? If you don't, you could put one in place which clearly sets out Liabilities in case of injury to the public, who is responsible for checking and maintaining equipment etc. I don't think there is an absolute requirement for you to have risk assessments and safe systems of work, but none of this can do any harm.

What happens if someone throws a pint over the PA mixer, who picks up the repair bill?

It wouldn't hurt to have public liability insurance yourself and if you perform regularly then it's a good idea anyway, there are a number of companies that can provide this or you could join the musicians union and get free cover via them. It's also worth using a socket tester and making sure that all the power outlets are wired correctly, and although it's a much maligned topic having the pub PAT test all the PA kit might help reassure you that it's safe for public and your use.

It's unlikely that anyone is going to get a life changing injury from performing at or attending the open mic, but it's one of those everything is okay until it isn't situations.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Thanks @Murray_B ;
  • Hi FP - Where are you in the UK? Chris