Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #87 - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #87

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #87. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @fastonebaz for providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st October 2022.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• allenallen Frets: 545
    Enjoyed them all. Here are my votes.

Bennyboy 5
    Flying pie 3
    bellycaster 1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Good effort all round. Very close but for me

5 points @stratman3142 - loved the time and best use of the turnaround, which was the money shot for me
    3 points @Bennyboy-UK - some really tasty licks in there
    1 point @Barney - that's the type of thing I'd love to hear at a blues gig (just the once, mind) and great fake slide with the trem
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    Splendid entries, loved all the blues links and tones.  

5pts to Yngwie Barnsteen aka @Barney loved the exuberance and right from the start pricked my ears up to keep my attention.  Great chops man.

3pts to @Bellycaster classic blues tone and I felt it was unpredictable going from one lick to the next which I reckon is what a decent blues jam is about.  Also sounded like it was played on a set of 12s, very chewy strat tone, nice.

1pt @stratman3142 reassuringly excellent quality playing, tone and phrasing, like getting a massage from your favourite busty salonist.

I still haven't had a crack at this one myself.  Well played all. Cheers! 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited October 2022
    This is a tricky one. I decided to go for the ones that I felt stuck to the style of the backing most.

5 points : @Bellycaster : Captured the blues style well. Best fit to the backing

3 points : @Bennyboy-UK : Classic blues licks and articulations

1 point :  @Flying_pie : Nifty blues licks.

@Barney yours was the most impressive and adventurous in many ways. Amazing playing, but not as in keeping with the backing for me. It put a (kind of) Scott Henderson take on things.

It's not a competition.
  • 5 Points @Bennyboy-UK - Loved the feel and phrasing of all the licks here, nice ending and great tone as well.

3 Points @stratman3142 - Classic Blues feel and style.

1 Point @Barney - Some jaw dropping mastery here, I just felt the others were a better fit to the backing.

@fastonebaz You may be surprised to know that I used a Tele Deluxe on the Neck Position for the solo. Wide Range Humbuckers. I think it's strung with 10's  :)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This is the context that lead @Barney  to submit an entry this month:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/236337/some-allan-holdsworth-type-of-thing

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 598
    All great entries .. favourites for me 

@Bellycaster 5 points 

@stratman3142 3 points 

@Bennyboy-UK 1 point 
  • No attempt from me this month: I was in a blues band for a couple of years and I ain't got no more 12-bar playing left in me...reckon I can manage five listens of this month's entries though ;)

5pts: @flying_pie - I see what you did there with the opening section...brilliant!
    3pts: @Barney - great legato technique, drifting in & out effortlessly
    1pt: @Bennyboy-UK - who doesn't love a solo which ends with the strings squelching out on the pickups?

• Voting closes tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1023
    1st: @stratman3142  - pro-sounding as usual, great tone and phrasing
    2nd: @Barney  - a very different take, very cool. Could easily be no.1, I was torn! Love the out-there phrasing. 
    3rd: @Bennyboy-UK  - nice fat tone and some great licks :)

To be honest it's blues, which I'm not massively into, so went with what sounded best to my ears this morning; they were all good!

• 5 pts @Bellycaster - I particularly liked the choice of notes near the end which moved to some interesting intervals and caught my ear.

3 pts @Barney - just carnage. Fantastic technique and made me have to listen really hard trying to keep up as your crossing the chords without a breath. Challenging stuff.

1 pt @stratman3142 - solid all round solo. Nice and familiar sounds and runs.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.