Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Kernom Ridge - analog pedal to emulate every drive style? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Kernom Ridge - analog pedal to emulate every drive style?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• keirkeir Frets: 132
    edited October 2023
    I’m not sure if I’m getting a bit bored of my ridge, it just doesn’t seem to instil much inspiration. 

I’ve brought a Jam Rattler and a fuzz face in the last week or so, so I need to try a bit of stacking at volume on Monday night when we rehearse next. 

It has a lot of positives and I’ve had the midi update which means you can edit presets is good but I’m still not sure - it seems to have a bit of feeling missing (maybe it’s compression), maybe stacking might help the situation. 

How’s everyone getting on with theirs? 
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Well, it's on my board and I'm using it for solo tones quite happily. I've got 4 basic sounds dialled in. Having the ability to change presets using MIDI is great for performance, and I've had the firmware update done, so changing and saving at practice sessions is straightforward. In a band mix, it's doing fine. 

I'm running a "pedal platform" board, always expecting to plug into the front of a clean amp if I can't use my own Rivera or have to go direct (Simplifier Mk II). So, for an edge-of-breakup to crunchy rhythm tone, I've settled on using one sound from a RevivalDrive Compact. I've A/Bd that with the Ridge and it sounds more 3D and natural. There really is a difference between the Ridge (opamp-based overdrive) and the RDC (full amplifier topology). But I'm going to carry on experimenting with getting a Ridge setting for that. The idea of having it "always on" for live use has an appeal.

The Ridge does a good job for me. I've never been "inspired" by it, though. It's a utility tool. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • keirkeir Frets: 132
    Well, it's on my board and I'm using it for solo tones quite happily. I've got 4 basic sounds dialled in. Having the ability to change presets using MIDI is great for performance, and I've had the firmware update done, so changing and saving at practice sessions is straightforward. In a band mix, it's doing fine. 

I'm running a "pedal platform" board, always expecting to plug into the front of a clean amp if I can't use my own Rivera or have to go direct (Simplifier Mk II). So, for an edge-of-breakup to crunchy rhythm tone, I've settled on using one sound from a RevivalDrive Compact. I've A/Bd that with the Ridge and it sounds more 3D and natural. There really is a difference between the Ridge (opamp-based overdrive) and the RDC (full amplifier topology). But I'm going to carry on experimenting with getting a Ridge setting for that. The idea of having it "always on" for live use has an appeal.

The Ridge does a good job for me. I've never been "inspired" by it, though. It's a utility tool. 
    Interesting thanks 

I used it at rehearsal last night and it stacked well with the Rattler, my fuzz is due to arrive in the next day or so so will try that next time out. 

I think a utility tool is a good description, initially I was thinking it could be my only drive, but have missed the character of other drive pedals. 

Do you have the ridge before or after the RDC?
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    edited October 2023
    keir said:
    Well, it's on my board and I'm using it for solo tones quite happily. I've got 4 basic sounds dialled in. Having the ability to change presets using MIDI is great for performance, and I've had the firmware update done, so changing and saving at practice sessions is straightforward. In a band mix, it's doing fine. 

Interesting thanks 

I used it at rehearsal last night and it stacked well with the Rattler, my fuzz is due to arrive in the next day or so so will try that next time out. 

I think a utility tool is a good description, initially I was thinking it could be my only drive, but have missed the character of other drive pedals. 

They're both plugged into loops on a Boss ES-5. I don't ever stack them. The RDC is my edge-of-breakup/mild crunch sound when I'm plugged into clean amp or going direct. If I'm using my Rivera, I don't use it at all. 

If Origin ever made an RDC that had the same analogue signal path but could be controlled using MIDI (like I use the Ridge) I'd buy it in a heartbeat - it's more organic and "amplike" - which is what I usually go for. I'm old school regarding sounds. 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 248
    keir said:

Interesting thanks 

They're both plugged into loops on a Boss ES-5. I don't ever stack them. The RDC is my edge-of-breakup/mild crunch sound when I'm plugged into clean amp or going direct. If I'm using my Rivera, I don't use it at all. 

If Origin ever made an RDC that had the same analogue signal path but could be controlled using MIDI (like I use the Ridge) I'd buy it in a heartbeat - it's more organic and "amplike" - which is what I usually go for. I'm old school regarding sounds. 
    Origin make a switcher interface for the Revival Drive. Perhaps this would achieve what you’re after.
  • CarpeDiem said:
    <snip>
    Origin make a switcher interface for the Revival Drive. Perhaps this would achieve what you’re after.
    Not really. I used to own the big box RD and the switcher. It's good for turning switches on and off (the pedal, the mid boost) but not altering the knob settings. There are some analogue overdrives that support MIDI for turning switches on and off but only a few that support MIDI presets - the Ridge, Automaton, TC Nova and Electron spring to mind... I'd like to be able to store several different presets with their knob setting on the RDC and recall them with MIDI. Maybe one day... Or maybe I should just buy several RDCs... (Bad idea :-) )