Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). You get a great idea and then......... - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

You get a great idea and then.........

I've started writing again.  I didn't plan to, but an idea fell out of my fingers and it grew legs, then another idea came along with it that complimented the first idea and I have the basis of some kind of folky thing in 6/4.  If only I had an acoustic guitar!

Idea number 2 is quite hard to play - I don't know how I manage to write parts which I struggle to play well.  So, I must have played it about three hundred times in the last hour trying to get the transition between the two parts fluid.  My fingers are sore and everything!  Maybe an acoustic guitar isn't such a great idea after all.

It started off sounding great.  Now, I've heard it so many damn times I'm sick of it and it sounds rubbish and boring.

Does this happen to anyone else, or is it just me?

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    Abso-lutely. I always loved hearing song ideas from a mate of mine, twisty turny things, catchy, little skip beats. After figuring out where it went it lost some of its charm to me but I was always happy that anyone hearing for the first time would still get the wow factor. After solid rehearsing, days upon days of getting timings right - I would go to bed at night with the bloody hook going round my head incessantly. I would go from love to hate even though each time it sounded better and better. Next rehearsal he would come back with a minor change to the timing, throwing the whole thing back to square one. Aaargh!

Just have faith in your ideas - no one knows the torture you go through putting it together.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1219
    edited October 2022
    Yes. I think the difference between people who have 'good ideas' and those who actually make things is pushing through this phase and finishing. Never been much good at this myself.