Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Cheap short scale bass - Basses £ Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Cheap short scale bass

One of my pals 12 yr old son has decided he wants to play bass ( strange child ) so I was tasked with seeing if I could find a cheap bass for him and of course a guitar forum so the ideal place to ask, figured something short scale would probably be better for a 12yr old, I have an old epi eb0 but it’s currently out of the country in loan. 
So if anyone has anything fairly cheap and cheerful hit me up 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    edited October 2022
    @mikeyrob73 ;
    This any good?
    Squier Bronco
    Rewired with a rail humbucker (common mod), chances are I changed the pots too.
    Stripped and repainted headstock
    And the shite tuners replaced with Hipshot Ultralights (which are probably worth more than the Bass!)

There are some small scratches from the previous child owner, but its a good, fun little Bass

I can do more photos if required

100 quid?

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    The Ibanez Mezzo medium scales come up on Basschat.

They have the advantage of being able to use regular strings too. Short scale strings can be surprisingly expensive.
    TBH at 12 years old unless he's particularly small he would get used a long scale quickly.

But if a shorty is really what's needed then Ibby have a couple of different models, Gretsch has a nice one.
    If you can find an old Jim Deacon shortscale then you might get one for about £120. I have one and it needed a bit of setup work but it's an excellent shorty (ok, I also stuck about £250 of upgrades into it - but only because the bass was good enough to be worth it).
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Cheers guys and @paulnb57 i will speak to them later and see if that’s suitable 
  • B3NB3N Frets: 0
    paulnb57 said:
    @mikeyrob73 ;
    This any good?
    Squier Bronco
    And the shite tuners replaced with Hipshot Ultralights (which are probably worth more than the Bass!)

There are some small scratches from the previous child owner, but its a good, fun little Bass

100 quid?

@paulnb57 this still available?? 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    B3N said:
    paulnb57 said:
    @mikeyrob73 ;
    This any good?
    Squier Bronco

100 quid?

@paulnb57 this still available?? 
    No sorry its gone
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll