Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Transition from shy bedroom guitarist to gig next month - help! - Live Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Transition from shy bedroom guitarist to gig next month - help!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Envious of you OP! Don't forget to let us know how it goes!!
    Will do!  And if I can get to play in a band, seriously anybody can!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've arranged an open mic thing with the singer/rhythm guitarist for next week, hopefully this will help towards the upcoming gig. 

Thanks again for all the help. Think I will be reading back through this thread on the night of the gig, because it really does put me in the right frame of mind! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've arranged an open mic thing with the singer/rhythm guitarist for next week, hopefully this will help towards the upcoming gig. 

Thanks again for all the help. Think I will be reading back through this thread on the night of the gig, because it really does put me in the right frame of mind! 

Great! Should help drum up some audience for the full band gig too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    randella said:
    And, apart from anything else, there's nothing worse than needing a piss halfway through a set lol
    Yes there is: having a piss halfway through a set!
    Pro tip: go for a wee

That's a good one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    roberty said:
    randella said:
    And, apart from anything else, there's nothing worse than needing a piss halfway through a set lol
    Yes there is: having a piss halfway through a set!
    Pro tip: go for a wee

That's a good one
    Not in this way though

https://youtu.be/xCwXy0aq6Do

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 2871
    edited October 2022
    Lots of good advice here.  

If the venue is very hot you can get rather sweaty and if you’re not careful you can get a bit dehydrated, which  can lead to cramp.  This doesn’t seem to affect everyone, but I always have a bottle of water to keep hydrated (not a glass as it can spill) and eat a banana before the gig (for the potassium). 

Getting cramp in the middle of your showpiece solo is not fun.

Good luck and have fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 65
    Some great information above. I think when I started I thought everyone would hear every missed noted or chord but they just don't. We've had a couple of stinkers were we've walked off thinking that was terrible only to told that was great. Someone said just remember you are up there doing it, pretty much everyone else watching would love to be able to play or sing.

Enjoy it, play at home stood up, don't bother about mistakes no one will notice. You will be buzzing after, don't expect to sleep!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 93
    edited October 2022
    Nice thread.

The most helpful things for me:

At some point during rehearsal when things are going well, look around you and notice what and who are there. Notice your own body/mind state and remember that when you're in that mindset things go well.

This is your happy place.

If at any point when things aren't going your way think back and put yourself in your happy place, when you get good at this you can do it instantly but it might take a second to start with. All will fall into place.

And remember, you're not required to produce magic. Some of playing is quite boring and some gigs are awful, that's not about you.

Good enough is good enough, that's why they call it good enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks again for all the help and advice.
    Well the *month* I had to get prepared has been shortened a bit - we now have a gig this Friday, as a support act!  the practice run at an open mic is this Wednesday. I won't get to meet the drummer until the gig! But it's all good - I'll do what I can do and enjoy it. 
    edited October 2022
    One more thing:

If in doubt - do less and do it confidently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Unfortunately we start the first set with my three quickest/hardest solos so I've found a few minutes of warmup gets me through. Remember to look up!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • uberscottuberscott Frets: 129
    I can't add much to the practical advice to what's already been said, but just under three years ago I was in much the same position as you. By my 40s I had been playing for over 30 years, but hadn't gigged regularly since my 20s. Three years ago, I got back into regular playing/practice and joined a local band, and honestly - it's one of the best things I've ever done. We play pub gigs once or twice a month, and I've improved a lot in both playing and performing. I bloody love it, and I hope you get as much of a kick out of it as I do - good luck and have a blast! 
  • One more thing:

+1 to this!

Less is definitely more generally when gigging but especially when you start out. 

Use as small a pedal board as possible to minimise getting in a mess with pedal dancing, plus less stuff to go wrong/trouble shoot.

When you get your amp up to gig level, use a bit less bass and a bit less gain than you think you need.

Then when solo time comes many less notes at much less speed than you think! 

A good tip someone gave me once was to prevent getting carried away when soloing (particularly improv) play a phrase and then physically take your hand off the neck of the guitar to allow a pause before playing the next phrase/lick.

Good luck and enjoy. If you look like you are having a good time it will translate to the audience and they will pick up on it. Simple stuff played in tune goes down great!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    One more thing:

+1 to this!

Less is definitely more generally when gigging but especially when you start out. 

A good tip someone gave me once was to prevent getting carried away when soloing (particularly improv) play a phrase and then physically take your hand off the neck of the guitar to allow a pause before playing the next phrase/lick.

Great idea - one note per arm windmill should do it ;) Audience will lap it up.

Classic Rock Bands Pete Townshend of The Who
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Did the gig last night - It was fun and I survived!

We were a last minute addition to the 3 band event,  but when we arrived it turned out that the headliner had pulled out,  and we ended up playing last!!  First time I'd met the drummer also.

I was bloody nervous while watching the first band, as they were really skilled and a confident bunch of teenagers!  It was really hot in there and humid with the strange weather we've had,  so whoever suggested taking talc for the fretting hand - thanks again I would of been knackered without it! 

We started off with a simpler song to ease into it, but I wasn't quite prepared for how much faster they played their already fast songs live,  missed  a couple of solos due to that but no-one would of noticed.  Ballsed up the lead intro to the 3rd song by playing part of it a semitone out (nerves) but after that it all went well and I really enjoyed being up there and playing live. And I get to do it all again next thur!

If I can do this, seriously anybody can.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2022
    Excellent.

There will also be awful gigs, it's not you.

If it is you you'll stop getting gigs so as long as they keep coming - keep enjoying them and don't worry.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Glad it all worked out. keep on keeping on. And keep on enjoying.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it