Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Suggestion - Glossary - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Suggestion - Glossary

What's Hot
Having read a number of threads, I am unaware of the meaning of many of the technical aspects made reference to, as well as some of the 'guitarist speak' for want of a better phrase.

Not sure if this has been raised before, but I was wondering if a Glossary section could be added.
'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Give us some examples ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    There was a previous effort at some of the acronyms, @CoolCat :-1: 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/231297/abbreviations-and-acronyms

It started well, as do many things on tFB ... 
    ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Well (just for a bit of fun … ;) ) shall we start with “Guitar” and see what descriptions we get …? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    CoolCat said:
    I am unaware of the meaning of many of the technical aspects made reference to, as well as some of the 'guitarist speak' for want of a better phrase.
    So are many of the people bandying those technical terms about! :frown: 

Far too often, an incorrect usage is discovered and reiterated, compounding the error.

Some people can not seem to get the names of gear right - even when it is emblazoned on the item. e.g. The Fender Custom Telecaster versus the later (and somewhat different) Telecaster Custom.

All the right words, not necessarily in the right order. 

My favourite form of non-communication is the, "help me fix my guitar" question where the OP omits to mention what guitar that is. There often seems to be an expectation that remote diagnosis is possible by telepathy.
    Be seeing you.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Allow me to start the glossary with:

"Treble Pass Filter Circuit" - An electronic circuit comprising a capacitor sometimes coupled with a resistor that, when connected between specific lugs of a volume potentiometer or "pot", retains more of the high/treble frequency signal when the volume knob is turned down than would be the case without this circuitry connected and more of the high frequency signal would be allowed to "bleed" off to ground.  This is often mistakenly referred to as a "Treble Bleed", but it is clear from its function that the intention is to try and prevent "treble bleed".    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    edited October 2022
    Hi all

Thanks for your posts.

I can't remember the exact post, or the discussion it was posted in however, a forum user posted about an Effects Pedal with the setting on 'wet'.  So, I was wondering what was meant by the term 'wet'?
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    "Wet" just refers to the mix of original unmodified signal with the modified signal.  A "dry" signal is one where the original signal is predominant, whereas a "wet" signal is one very rich in the modified signal.  This would normally be used for pedals like chorus, tremolo, vibrato, reverb and delay/echo, where the modified signal was very much to the forefront rather than being more subtle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited October 2022
    Really good idea.

My contribution "plantilla". The overall shape of the top of a guitar. Most frequently used to describe the template used in cutting out the top of a classical guitar or the jig classical luthiers use in the building process, but can be used to describe the specific outline shape and size of the top of any guitar.

"Guitar". A six stringed fretted instrument derived from the Ud and the Lute. In its modern form, a term used to describe the three traditions of classical, acoustic and electric forms. Unlike some other stringed instruments, the design of the guitar is extremely variable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Butter - dairy fat product, incapable of countering the tension load from tuned strings. Mistakenly believed by some to indicate ease of playability, presumably as a lubricant, mainly in Paris. 
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter