Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Advice please re Groovebox/Sampler/Sequencer. - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Advice please re Groovebox/Sampler/Sequencer.

What's Hot
Facts first - I am a 60 year old basic guitarist who wants to have a standalone box of tricks that I can record on, do basic sampling and use in a basic way to put down bass and some synth stuff, despite not being a keyboard player. I did have an AKAI MPC ONE which I loved the sounds and capabilities of but could not get my head round putting it all together/ the workflow.

My go to DAW is Garageband which I understand and can work with but I want something standalone unit.

Any suggestions ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Unfortunately I think the MPC is probably the obvious choice along with the Force.

Roland Verselab is another option but targeted more at singers.

An Elektron octatrak would be way more complex.

The MC-707 is quite limited in recording time.

An SP-404 MK2 is a possibility if you want something simple but it's very limited compared to an MPC.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 203
    Unfortunately I think the MPC is probably the obvious choice along with the Force.

Roland Verselab is another option but targeted more at singers.

An Elektron octatrak would be way more complex.

The MC-707 is quite limited in recording time.

An SP-404 MK2 is a possibility if you want something simple but it's very limited compared to an MPC.
    Thanks. Beginning to think I should have persevered and found some better online guides :)
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 387
    I have a Native Instruments Maschine plus. I like it, but it’s not great standalone and has a learning curve no easier than the MPC.  
    joeW said:
    I have a Native Instruments Maschine plus. I like it, but it’s not great standalone and has a learning curve no easier than the MPC.  
    Thanks Joe. I think that's my issue - I am not patient or clever enough to learn how to use them properly:)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited October 2022
    jimkehoe said:
    Facts first - I am a 60 year old basic guitarist who wants to have a standalone box of tricks that I can record on, do basic sampling and use in a basic way to put down bass and some synth stuff, despite not being a keyboard player. I did have an AKAI MPC ONE which I loved the sounds and capabilities of but could not get my head round putting it all together/ the workflow.

My go to DAW is Garageband which I understand and can work with but I want something standalone unit.

Any suggestions ?
    If the MPC One is too difficult then all the others will be just as or more difficult.
    With electronics you cannot buy your way into understanding them.
    Work with what you have, until you get it- buying more stuff will confuse you further.

The *best* all in one box in my view is the Deluge.
    Aside from the Elektron gear it is the most difficult to get your head around.
    With capability comes complexity.

My advice is stick with Garageband- if you need it portable, use a laptop.

Stay the hell away from Elektron.
    They are awesome but if you are struggling with an MPC One then the Elektron workflow isn't something you will enjoy.
    octatonic said:
    jimkehoe said:

Any suggestions ?
    If the MPC One is too difficult then all the others will be just as or more difficult.
    With electronics you cannot buy your way into understanding them.
    Work with what you have, until you get it- buying more stuff will confuse you further.

The *best* all in one box in my view is the Deluge.
    Aside form the Elektron gear it is the most difficult to get your head around.
    With capability comes complexity.

My advice is stick with Garageband- if you need it portable, use a laptop.

Stay the hell away from Elektron.
    They are awesome but if you are struggling with an MPC One then the Elektron workflow isn't something you will enjoy.
    Fair comment. I think maybe I will get another MPC One and make a more determined effort to get to grips with the basics.
  • I really like Maschine. The manual, if you have time and patience to follow page by page, is well written and designed to get you through the motions as you develop a track. It's massive though (no pun intended).

My experience with elektron was a bit like trying to bash a hole through a brick wall, with my head.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I really like Maschine. The manual, if you have time and patience to follow page by page, is well written and designed to get you through the motions as you develop a track. It's massive though (no pun intended).

My experience with elektron was a bit like trying to bash a hole through a brick wall, with my head.
    Is Maschine stand alone? How do you edit samples - Is That the one without a screen?
  • jimkehoe said:
    I really like Maschine. The manual, if you have time and patience to follow page by page, is well written and designed to get you through the motions as you develop a track. It's massive though (no pun intended).

Is Maschine stand alone? How do you edit samples - Is That the one without a screen?
    I’ve had both, stand-alone and hooked up version. There’s not a whole lot in it in terms of difference. Hooked up version you have more versatility in access to Native Instrument VSTs. 

I use the one with screens, MK3. Sample editing is fairly straightforward once you get the hang of it. What kind of sample manipulation are you looking to do?
    Just drum loops, simple bass or synth lines or just song samples from recorded material
    edited October 2022
    jimkehoe said:
    Just drum loops, simple bass or synth lines or just song samples from recorded material
    Laptop/computer.
    Only use a groove box where the workflow will enhance the output- dance/electronic music is a good example.
    Computers are better in other scenarios.

Or try an iPad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    octatonic said:
    jimkehoe said:
    Laptop/computer.
    Only use a groove box where the workflow will enhance the output- dance/electronic music is a good example.

Or try an iPad.
    I understand what you're saying and you're probably right but I find the I-pad too fiddly and you need audio interface/separate speakers etc etc and my Mac is in a music room/office that doubles as my wife's workspace so is now really convenient.
    jimkehoe said:
    octatonic said:
    jimkehoe said:
    Laptop/computer.

Or try an iPad.
    I understand what you're saying and you're probably right but I find the I-pad too fiddly and you need audio interface/separate speakers etc etc and my Mac is in a music room/office that doubles as my wife's workspace so is now really convenient.
    Sure, I agree- I don't like an iPad.

In that case you are back to an MPC.
    You will need to learn how to use it though.
    There isn't much out there that is easier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    octatonic said:
    jimkehoe said:
    octatonic said:
    jimkehoe said:
    Laptop/computer.

Or try an iPad.
    Sure, I agree- I don't like an iPad.

In that case you are back to an MPC.
    You will need to learn how to use it though.
    There isn't much out there that is easier.
    I think you're right - A bit more patience, perseverance and determination needed.
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 104
    Two leftfield options - you could go for 2 smaller, simpler and cheaper boxes, one for synth and one for sampling, like a Novation circuit tracks and a korg electribe sampler or a Novation circuit rhythm and your Volca synth of choice. You'd need one midi cable and one or two audio cables so not too much hassle (compared to a standard guitarist's pedalboard anyway!).

I bought @monquixote 's circuit tracks earlier this year and it's been brilliant, very useable interface with some surprisingly deep controls for a screenless device. I've loved having the freedom from my computer and being able to sit on the sofa with headphones on and jam away.

The other leftfield choice might be a teenage engineering OP-1 if it's not altogether too weird for you. It's not going to give a studio quality polished result obviously but for creativity and experimentation in one convenient box it looks pretty awesome.
    DrHungry said:
    Two leftfield options - you could go for 2 smaller, simpler and cheaper boxes, one for synth and one for sampling, like a Novation circuit tracks and a korg electribe sampler or a Novation circuit rhythm and your Volca synth of choice. You'd need one midi cable and one or two audio cables so not too much hassle (compared to a standard guitarist's pedalboard anyway!).

I bought @monquixote 's circuit tracks earlier this year and it's been brilliant, very useable interface with some surprisingly deep controls for a screenless device. I've loved having the freedom from my computer and being able to sit on the sofa with headphones on and jam away.

The other leftfield choice might be a teenage engineering OP-1 if it's not altogether too weird for you. It's not going to give a studio quality polished result obviously but for creativity and experimentation in one convenient box it looks pretty awesome.
    Thanks. Some interesting suggestions. More research.
    tFB Trader
    If recording guitar is not important to you then the circuit tracks is the easiest way to get into electronic music
    If recording guitar is not important to you then the circuit tracks is the easiest way to get into electronic music
    Unfortunately guitar is the only instrument I can play and understand even at a basic level so anything I do will need to be able to incorporate guitar.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    I'm recently getting a lot of my stuff consolidated / upgraded to a new ( to me ) laptop based studio, I am no pro, but have been tinkering for a fair few years.
    IMO, we don't really need hardware these days - nice if we have the space, but not required to make music.
    I know that is a bold statement, but hear me out.
    I'm using Reaper, having tried PT, Logic and a few others, Reaper just seems to fit all the brief for me, there is nothing that can't be done with it.
    I use a plugin called Unify, by Pluginguru, which has been developed over the last 3 years? maybe, it hosts any VST based plugin on your system, along with it's own built in sampler / midi sequencer / synth / FX, and it allows any mix to be saved as pre sets, including embedded instances of itself.
    Quite hard to explain how fully featuered it is, but basically it is a single plugin that can play an entire composition via a single keyboard by having mapped areas and latched keys - pretty amazing really.
    It actually allows embedded VSTs to perform better than if they were directly inserted on a track, something to do with multi thread performance.
    So with Reaper, and Unify I have an entire studio within 2 pieces of software, and I use this to build up a track and the idea is that I can then do guitar recording as an overdub, I usually record an effected sound-either an amp recording or a pedal chain, along with a DI, and I have the Slate subscription which includes Overloud amp sims, I don't really exploit the subscription as much as I should because it relies on Ilok, but I do tend to build up tracks from audio stems, so once they are bounced I can use Fabfilter stuff for eq  and compression on any machine.
    Last couple of weeks have been a bit of an eye opener really, how little stuff I use, but how powerful it all is, I'm getting great results with an i5 laptop and a Korg nanokontrol, and am just upgrading that to a nanostudio for the extra knobs and faders ( all very useful in both Reaper and Unify )
    A good set of headphones, or a simple Focusrite IO is all that I need on top of all that, plus a few free vsts like Spitfire LABS and BBCSO, and there's not much I can't do ( I am no pro though )
    But mixing audio to a professional standard, and making new ideas is a breeze.
    andy_k said:
    I'm recently getting a lot of my stuff consolidated / upgraded to a new ( to me ) laptop based studio, I am no pro, but have been tinkering for a fair few years.
    IMO, we don't really need hardware these days - nice if we have the space, but not required to make music.
    I'm using Reaper, having tried PT, Logic and a few others, Reaper just seems to fit all the brief for me, there is nothing that can't be done with it.
    I use a plugin called Unify, by Pluginguru, which has been developed over the last 3 years? maybe, it hosts any VST based plugin on your system, along with it's own built in sampler / midi sequencer / synth / FX, and it allows any mix to be saved as pre sets, including embedded instances of itself.
    Quite hard to explain how fully featuered it is, but basically it is a single plugin that can play an entire composition via a single keyboard by having mapped areas and latched keys - pretty amazing really.
    It actually allows embedded VSTs to perform better than if they were directly inserted on a track, something to do with multi thread performance.
    So with Reaper, and Unify I have an entire studio within 2 pieces of software, and I use this to build up a track and the idea is that I can then do guitar recording as an overdub, I usually record an effected sound-either an amp recording or a pedal chain, along with a DI, and I have the Slate subscription which includes Overloud amp sims, I don't really exploit the subscription as much as I should because it relies on Ilok, but I do tend to build up tracks from audio stems, so once they are bounced I can use Fabfilter stuff for eq  and compression on any machine.
    Last couple of weeks have been a bit of an eye opener really, how little stuff I use, but how powerful it all is, I'm getting great results with an i5 laptop and a Korg nanokontrol, and am just upgrading that to a nanostudio for the extra knobs and faders ( all very useful in both Reaper and Unify )
    A good set of headphones, or a simple Focusrite IO is all that I need on top of all that, plus a few free vsts like Spitfire LABS and BBCSO, and there's not much I can't do ( I am no pro though )
    Thanks Andy - Sounds great - I'll do some research.
    I was just coming round to the conclusion that an Akai Force may be the ticket - But maybe not :)

• I always lust after those Yamaha QY 10 / 20 etc  from the 90s , they fit in a case the size of a vhs cassette ,are satisfyingly retro & there are videos on YouTube on how to use one or the other 

https://youtu.be/d5i66uPOe8g
    I always lust after those Yamaha QY 10 / 20 etc  from the 90s , they fit in a case the size of a vhs cassette ,are satisfyingly retro & there are videos on YouTube on how to use one or the other 

https://youtu.be/d5i66uPOe8g
    Bit too retro for me.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    jimkehoe said:
    andy_k said:
    Thanks Andy - Sounds great - I'll do some research.
    I was just coming round to the conclusion that an Akai Force may be the ticket - But maybe not :)

I just received a notification for the saturday night Unify livestream, ( he does one every saturday ) I think it is around 8pm our time, he is going to be demoing new features coming soon in v1.9, and showing off some stuff for a new library of pre-sets.
    Well worth a look to see what Unify is capable of, it is a very deep piece of software.
    The software itself costs around $79, and libraries are coming in at around $30-$40, but there are free Unified libraries available for many of the free software synths, the paid for Unify libraries are worth the money for the drum samples and pre-sets alone.
    tFB Trader
    Totally agree that hardware is completely unnecessary these days, but it's really fun and creative to play with.

The copy of Bitwig I have is basically an infinitely configurable studio and synth you could use just that and make pretty much anything.
  • Have a look at Koala Sampler. Runs on iOS or Android. 

This won’t be to most peoples taste, but here a track I did just laying on the couch using Koala and sampling myself.
    https://on.soundcloud.com/a7uMxzBXFC2pz2y26

(Probably ran it through some plugins after the fact)

I when I want better audio quality I connect an iPad to my interface and use that. Again, not the world’s greatest track, but this is all from a Gameboy sampled via the Interface 
    https://on.soundcloud.com/aNPp37WQnhaCDUpc6

Apparently Koala sampler is inspired by the Boss Dr Sample SP‑303, so if you like the workflow and want to go down the hardware route that might be a place to start, likewise if you’ll know what to avoid if you don’t.

Have a look at Koala Sampler. Runs on iOS or Android. 

This won’t be to most peoples taste, but here a track I did just laying on the couch using Koala and sampling myself.
    https://on.soundcloud.com/a7uMxzBXFC2pz2y26

(Probably ran it through some plugins after the fact)

I when I want better audio quality I connect an iPad to my interface and use that. Again, not the world’s greatest track, but this is all from a Gameboy sampled via the Interface 
    https://on.soundcloud.com/aNPp37WQnhaCDUpc6

Apparently Koala sampler is inspired by the Boss Dr Sample SP‑303, so if you like the workflow and want to go down the hardware route that might be a place to start, likewise if you’ll know what to avoid if you don’t.

Great advice- Thanks.