Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Solo piano or keys songs - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Solo piano or keys songs

Hi all, in tandem with my potential interest in singing lessons, I'm looking for potential songs that either have accompaniment for piano or are/could be arranged for piano, so that I might learn to sing along to myself.

I understand Google is full of the samey stuff, but I want something different! Hence my asking here that guitar minded people might have better taste. I don't want any jazz, I don't want any more of that. Also no musicals, no Elton/Joel, and certainly not much quaver-crotchet-quaver-tied-over-bar-line syncopation. I'd like stuff at the rockier indier end of things if poss.

Three possibles so far:
Glass - from Julian Casablancas' solo album, bit more synthy
I'm Lonely - White Stripes, straight country piano
I Stopped to Fill my Car up - stereophonics  whom I normally detest but have always bafflingly liked that song

Thanks all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Beatles songs translate really well to piano arrangements. 20 years ago, when I could actually play piano it was great fun bashing out Lady Madonna and Let it be. Lovely quieter songs as well like Yesterday (I can still play most of that!). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Thanks, did overkill on the Beatles when i was younger I'm afraid, was after something a little "cooler", to pretend at being "cool" :) keep em coming!
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPPtrqvHGEg

;)

Jesse Malin did a pretty cool piano cover of 'I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You' (another Tom Waits number) which isn't overly taxing, nice easy(ish) three-chorder....

• As the saying goes, "Tom Waits for no man"... I shall give them both a good listen. The difficulty of any piano playing doesn't matter too much, the difficulty of the tune might ;)

In my mind, I imagine the aim to work towards (that will of course get skewed and diverted) to be kind of...Julian Casablancas singing Jeff Buckley Songs, on piano/keys rather than guitar, and without the Nina Simone jazz influence, maybe replace her with Jack White influence.

Nb, nothing wrong with Nina Simone or jazz, i love them both but don't want to play them any more...