Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Greatest concert opening ever?? - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Greatest concert opening ever??

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I was far too close to the front at Donington - that piss was going everywhere!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    In terms of explosive openings Queen were always good 
    Iron Maiden did some great stage entries in the mid 80s (and maybe still do )

Kiss were usually quite dramatic , and Rammstein have tended to be that way too.

I recall Bon Jovi were good on the New Jersey tour where they sprung up through trapdoors on Lay Your Hands On Me

Wish I had seen Angel who apparently did an star trek style materialising on stage.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    edited October 2022
    Well, if we're doing the "I was there" routine...
    Skip to about 1:12:00 (embedding YT videos at points in time don't seem to work).

(...and I've still got the T-shirt!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 698
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Well, it's Queen at Wembley 1986 obviously.  But for an honourable mention, Rammstein had fireworks.

• Best one I saw was Prince at the O2.

He did something a bit different every night and I cannot find footage of the night I went.

Basically there was a column of dry ice smoke down from the ceiling. He had clearly climbed up through a trap door to stand in it.

The only lights that were on were UV. As the smoke rolled away he was wearing a white suit... and he was glowing in the remains of the smoke. He had his arms out in mix of crucifixion and Gozer. It was an amazing image.

The someone from the floor threw him a telecaster and slid a little pedalboard on the stage and he kicked into a brand new song at the time "Guitar".

It was a proper "I am the best and you damn well know it" moment. And for that night at least, he was right.
    Can’t remember too much about seeing him at the O2 (though I’m fairly sure it was a different night to what you described) but putting Metallica’s live intro against Prince really is never going to end well for Metallica, no offence to the OP!

• oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 742
    Brothers and sisters
    I wanna see a sea of hands out there
    Let me see a sea of hands
    I want everybody to kick up some noise
    I wanna hear some revolution out there, brothers
    I wanna hear a little revolution

Brothers and sisters
    The time has come for each and every one of you to decide
    Whether you are gonna be the problem
    Or whether you are gonna be the solution (that's right)
    You must choose, brothers, you must choose
    It takes five seconds, five seconds of decision
    Five seconds to realize your purpose here on the planet
    It takes five seconds to realize that it's time to move
    It's time to get down with it

Brothers, it's time to testify and I want to know
    Are you ready to testify?!
    Are you ready?!
    I give you a testimonial
    The MC5!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Best one I saw was Prince at the O2.

He did something a bit different every night and I cannot find footage of the night I went.

Basically there was a column of dry ice smoke down from the ceiling. He had clearly climbed up through a trap door to stand in it.

The only lights that were on were UV. As the smoke rolled away he was wearing a white suit... and he was glowing in the remains of the smoke. He had his arms out in mix of crucifixion and Gozer. It was an amazing image.

The someone from the floor threw him a telecaster and slid a little pedalboard on the stage and he kicked into a brand new song at the time "Guitar".

It was a proper "I am the best and you damn well know it" moment. And for that night at least, he was right.
    I saw Prince live about 5 times he always knew how to put on a show - absolutely fantastic.
    if I remember correctly the Sign O the times tour got cancelled in the U.K. so I missed that one but on the Lovesexey tour he drove on stage in a white thunderbird and went straight into Erotic City - show stopper right there
  • Queen 86 at Wembley OMG the opening riff to Tie your mother down (second song) is just a masterpiece in rock n roll riffery